Work capability — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work capability

Options
Alex260617
Alex260617 Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
Hi everyone, I've been successful in recieving the higher rate for both parts of PIP. 

Please can anyone explain how the work capability works I've filled the forms out in April still no appointment and I provided evidence. 

I had a call from my GP Friday to say universal credit has been in touch asking for information but the address given didn't match what they had for me which is correct as I've moved but not moved GPS so if I tell them I've moved I have to move doctors and I didn't want the head ache. 

I've had 5 sick notes now but not sure what is happening or how much extra a month people recieve etc

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There are long waits for assessments. If found to have LCWRA you get an xtra £354.28/month (from the fourth month after you reported the health condition).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Alex260617
    Options
    @calcotti so if I first reported this in August 2021 is it from that date? Or when I consistently put a sick note on each month so from March 2022 if that makes sense? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,396 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As calcotti has advised, it's from the date you first reported the health condition but you must have continued to send in fit notes without any gaps until a decision is made on your WCA. If there's gaps in your fit notes it may affect when the extra money is paid from.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alex260617
    Options
    Ok that's fine, it will be from March then :) 
  • Alex260617
    Options
    Is it same sort of questions as PIP? 
  • poppy123456
    edited July 2022
    Options
    The criteria for LCWRA is different to PIP. You can see the descriptors here. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/universal-credit-uc/uc-faq/limited-capability-for-work-related-activity
    Awiddup13 said:

If that was when you sent your first fit note then that's when the waiting period will start from. There's a full 3 month assessmenr period waiting time and the extra money is paid from the 4th month. So it will be July or August the extra is paid from.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Alex260617
    Options
    I've still not had my appointment but i rang them yesterday and advised ive been successful in claiming higher pip for both elements and they asked for proof and a copy of my assessment report so hoping i dont have to go through it all over again and it stresses me out talking about it
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Let us know when you hear more @Awiddup13 and reach out if you feel we can help with anything.

What do you find helps you to de stress when you need to? :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Alex260617
    Options
    Just a quick question. If successful and I recieve pay. Is the pay from March, April, may, June, July and August or will I only be paid from July onwards if that makes sense 
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2022
    Options
    As previously advised
    The criteria for LCWRA is different to PIP. You can see the descriptors here. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/universal-credit-uc/uc-faq/limited-capability-for-work-related-activity
    Awiddup13 said:

There's a full 3 month assessmenr period waiting time and the extra money is paid from the 4th month. So it will be July or August the extra is paid from.
    When it's paid from exactly will depend on the exact date you sent the fit note in March and the dates of your assessment periods. Or when you usually receive your payment each month.
  • Alex260617
    Options
    Thanks @poppy123456 was just confused as my work coach is telling me it will be from March but I will take your advise and thanks for your help, I've never claimed anything in my life before I had my own estate agent but fell on hard times. 

My friend said to me once your only one pay cheque away from being bankrupt and he was correct :) 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    LCWRA will be awarded from March yes but the waiting period of 3 full assessment periods will apply before the extra money is paid.
  • Alex260617
    Options
    I have just been told my appointment is on the 5th September which is still ages away. Just so i am clear my assestment period will be from March - June and any money owed is awarded will be from July, August & September?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Awiddup13 said:
     Just so i am clear my assestment period will be from March - June and any money owed is awarded will be from July, August & September?

It will depend when exactly in March you sent the fit note and what date you usually receive your payment each month. The waiting period is 3 full assessment periods.

• Alex260617
    Options
    I get paid on the 18th of each month and my assestment period is 11th-12th i did sick note around 6th march
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2022
    Options
    So you reported your condition in February to March. The waiting period is therefore from March to June. The first LCWRA payment would therefore be due from the June to July period payable on 19th July.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Alex260617
    Options
    Why doesn't it get back dated like pip does? 
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Awiddup13 said:
    Why doesn't it get back dated like pip does? 

Because as we advised, there's a full 3 month assessment period waiting time. As UC is paid 1 month in arrears it's then paid from the 4th month. The waiting period applied to the old ESA too, so there's no difference there.

When the LCWRA element is awarded

In most cases, the LCWRA element is awarded after a 3 month waiting period beginning on the day you provide medical evidence. If it takes longer than 3 months to carry out your Work Capability Assessment the element you are awarded will be backdated to this point and you will be paid any amount owing. 

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Long-term-health-condition-or-disability-Universal-Credit

• Alex260617
    Options
    I have my appointment by phone on the 5th September.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good luck with your phone appointment @Awiddup13. How are you feeling about it at the moment?

Please feel free to let us know how you get on with it. We are all here for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.