I've seen a trainee healthcare assistant job on the NHS website for my local hospital

BrianMcFaddenfan07
BrianMcFaddenfan07 Community member Posts: 262 Empowering
The job sounds good, but the only problem is that it's a training course through the hospital, but the shifts are between earlies, mornings evenings and lates and that's what's putting me off applying for the course as I wouldn't feel safe walking home on my own in the dark as knowing my luck I'd finish a night shift whilst my fiance is asleep as he works days as a cleaner and is up at 6am.

Comments

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,388 Championing
    Morning @BrianMcFaddenfan07 Hope your well.
    If this is the type of work your looking for darling i may be wrong but i think ir will involve shift work.
    It wont hurt to apply tho you never know there might be a good bus rout or some one else working there who lives your way.
    Don't forget every job interview is a help with the experience of these situations.

Let us know what you decide to do x
  • BrianMcFaddenfan07
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,443 Championing
    I agree that it might be worth looking into bus routes or other transport options @BrianMcFaddenfan07. It's completely understandable that you wouldn't feel safe walking back on your own. 

It's also something you could consider bringing up to them, if you were to progress with your application. 

Do you think you might go for it?
  • BrianMcFaddenfan07
    I live within walking distance of my local hospital, but the street it's on is classed as a "Red Route" due to the amount of accidents that have happened on the street.
    Plus there's a few pedestrian crossings along the road as there's one near a take away that leads to a few local shops, there's one across the road from a barbers shop and fuel station and there's one not far from the shops near my youngest sister's house.
    The shops are on the main road and my youngest sister, sister-in-law and my 2 nieces live in a cul-de-sac, which is a fair distance away from the main road as it's off one of the side roads just past a local primary school.
  • Tori_Scope
    If you were to be offered the role, could your youngest sister or sister-in-law perhaps walk home with you to make sure you feel safe @BrianMcFaddenfan07
  • BrianMcFaddenfan07
    @Tori_Scope my fiance probably would walk with me as my youngest sister and sister-in-law have my two nieces. The eldest is in school and hates the holidays as she loves school.
  • Tori_Scope
    It's good that your fiance would be willing to do that @BrianMcFaddenfan07 :) Would that help you feel safer? 

Have you made any progress with your application? 
  • BrianMcFaddenfan07
    Not yet @Tori_Scope as I'm waiting until I've seen my work coach at my local job centre next week as I've been advised not to apply for any jobs until I've been told that I can as I am on LCW at the moment as I was put on it in the July of the same year that my late dad passed away as my depression was at an all time low for me and I couldn't concentrate or anything.
    Although the annoying thing was that they said that I wasn't entitled to anything as I was on the health and work program when it was actually my fiance who was on the health and work program and not me, but they wouldn't listen to either me or my fiancé.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,925 Championing
    How did speaking to your work coach go for you @BrianMcFaddenfan07? I recognise it has been a little while since you last posted on this thread now. Wondering how things have been going for you since you last posted on this thread.

It sounds like you have been through a really tough time, especially with your late dad passing away, your depression and not feeling listened to. How are things for you at the moment?

If we can do anything to support you, please don't hesitate to let us know. We are all here for you and you don't have to face this, or anything else, alone if you don't want to  :)
  • BrianMcFaddenfan07
    Thank you for reminding me about this thread @L_Volunteer as I'd forgotten about it.
    My adviser told myself and my fiance that dhr was originally supposed to have been leaving the job centre,  but then they changed their minds and that it was her manager's fault as she didn't know mine and fiancé's schedule and had just decided to change it without asking my advisor about us first,  but she also gave us some good news though and that is she's staying at our local job centre and that she'd staying as our advisor.
    The reason I've our is because after my fiancé was unfairly dismissed from his old job about a week or two ago,  he contacted the job centre and my advisor is also my fiancé's advisor now. 
    Which we are both glad about as our advisor is really lovely and actually listens to us. We had a nice lady advisor when we lived in the North East of England as well as she listened to us and she was doing all sorts to help us to either get a job or find courses that we could do together as we didn't like doing anything on our own. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,538 Championing
    @BrianMcFaddenfan07 I'm glad to hear that both you and your fiancé find your adviser so friendly and helpful, it's good to know that she is staying now. 

Let us know how things go for you both, and thanks for taking the time to update us :) 
  • BrianMcFaddenfan07
    You're welcome @Alex_Scope