Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

What is ESA

Options
Alex260617
Alex260617 Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
Evening everyone, I've never claimed benefits in my life but recently I lost my business and became unwell with mental health. 

I received universal credit single allowance and I'm awaiting my assessment for limited work capability but I have been approved for PIP for higher rate mobility and higher rate daily living. 

Is ESA universal credit or is it something totally separate than can be claimed on top of everything else I'm confused. 

I'm finding it hard to adapt to life following losing my business as I was earning very good money so to from that to having to live of £300 on universal credit I'm struggling even further. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,031 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    New style ESA can be claimed if you’ve paid the correct amount of NI contributions in tax years April 2019 to March 2021. 
    There’s no financial gain to claiming both the ESA and UC at the same time because it’s deducted in full from any UC entitlement. 
    The only difference is it pays class 1 NI and UC pays class 3. It’s also not means tested like UC so if you’ve paid those NI contributions then it’s worth claiming it.
    You will need a fit note if you claim this. You will only need one work capability assessment even if you claim both. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • AndrewHall
    AndrewHall Community member Posts: 287 Pioneering
    Options
    @poppy123456

Am I right in thinking you get Class 1 NI credits for being on LCW, and after two tax years, you will be entitled to contribution ESA.

Thanks
    Never allow DWP assertions to define you. They never have evidence of your true circumstances.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    @poppy123456

Am I right in thinking you get Class 1 NI credits for being on LCW, and after two tax years, you will be entitled to contribution ESA.

Thanks
    Yes you get class 1 when claiming New style if found to have LCW. NI credits alone will not entitle you to any payments. It will remain a credits only claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2022
    Options
    @poppy123456

Thanks
    You are right that you can get Class 1 Credits while on a ‘Credits only’ claim for LCW but you cannot claim new style ESA based on Credits alone  so would need a period of Work giving you Class 1 contributions to become eligible for new style ESA.
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/employment-and-support-allowance-contribution-based
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • AndrewHall
    Options
    Many thanks to @poppy123456 and @calcotti
    Never allow DWP assertions to define you. They never have evidence of your true circumstances.
  • Alex260617
    Options
    So if i paid national insurance in those periods mentioned am i best switching to ESA from UVC?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Your UC will continue and the New style ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. 
  • calcotti
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Awiddup13 said:
    So if i paid national insurance in those periods mentioned am i best switching to ESA from UVC?
    You wouldn’t switch, you would simply get fortnightly ESA payments and still get monthly UC payments. The total amount of money would be same as on UC only (unless the ESA is more than your UC entitlement).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Alex260617
    Options
    @calcotti is there a tool online where i can check?

• calcotti
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Awiddup13 said:
    Check what?
    There are benefit calculators here
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Awiddup13 said:

For New style ESA it will depend on your NI contributions from working in the previous 2 tax years, as advised.
  • AndrewHall
    Options
    Awiddup13 said:

Unfortunately, UC was dubiously designed to trap people without "switching". That is why people are reluctant to go on it and Government are deceiving people to go on it. I know some secret DWP agents on here would disagree. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Awiddup13 said:

Unfortunately, UC was dubiously designed to trap people without "switching". 
    That makes no sense because no one is automatically placed onto UC without actually claiming it. 
    I know some secret DWP agents on here would disagree. 
    Who exactly would that be? I’m not aware of anyone here. 
  • AndrewHall
    edited August 2022
    Options
    @poppy123456

I never said people get automatically get placed on UC. I said people get "trapped in it" and "Government are deceiving people to go on it".
    Not surprisingly my comment would be twisted. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    @poppy123456

Not surprisingly my comment would be twisted. 

If that's what you think, then you can carry on thinking that. I'm out!
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.