Mortgage and Life Insurance with CFS/ME and Fibromyalgia — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mortgage and Life Insurance with CFS/ME and Fibromyalgia

Options
Chr0n1c
Chr0n1c Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2022 in Housing and independent living
Hi all,

Someone has told me that being diagnosed with CFS/ME has made them uninsurable in terms of life insurance and that it can also affect whether you can get a mortgage or not. I've just been diagnosed with chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia, as well as chronic migraines, depression, panic attacks etc. At 25 years old and am now terrified that I'll never get a mortgage or life insurance. How much of this is true? Is Fibromyalgia also a condition that writes you off in terms of insurance and mortgages? Please help, I'm so worried.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @chr0n1c :) Thank you for joining!

I haven't had as much time today as I'd hoped to get around to researching an answer to your question, so apologies for that. I've marked your question as 'unanswered' so that we, and other members, know that you're still looking for an answer to your question.

This page from an insurance company says: 
    We know that the symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome and the way it affects each person, can differ considerably.

Life insurance for people living with chronic fatigue syndrome may be available on normal terms with some insurers, provided that your condition is well managed.

Insurers will be want to know:

• When you were diagnosed with the condition
    • Details of any medications or treatments that you follow
    • How often your tiredness flares up
    • Any time you have had to take off work as a result of your chronic fatigue syndrome
    • Any secondary conditions e.g. depression
    • Depending upon your individual circumstances, you may be offered a policy on standard or non-standard terms (higher premiums).
    The guidance on fibromyalgia and life insurance seems to be quite similar, in that it depends how well managed it is, and whether you have any other health conditions. 

You may also find it helpful to read Money Helper's page on getting a mortgage if you're ill or disabled

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Chr0n1c Hello and welcome to the community from me, how are you doing?

It can be really anxiety provoking hearing other people's stories and anecdotes so I'm glad you reached out for clarification. As Tori outlined, eligibility for life insurance and mortgages is very much particular to personal circumstances so try not to worry too much. Seeking independent advice when the time comes round for thinking about life insurance and mortgages will help so don't forget to contact Citizens Advice or the Money Helper website for more info.

Take care and hopefully speak again soon.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.