What's your experience of waiting for PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What's your experience of waiting for PIP?

Options
Alice_Macmillan
Alice_Macmillan Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I work for Macmillan Cancer Support. We're thinking of launching a campaign in the autumn calling on the Government to reduce waiting times for PIP (from application to payment). Claimants are currently waiting on average 20 weeks, which we think is unacceptably long. Not only that, the Government has promised to make a £150 Disability Cost of Living payment in September to everyone claiming or who made a claim for PIP before 25 May this year. However, due to current waiting times, many people who made a claim in May will miss out on receiving the payment in September, as they would have needed to claim in April for their claim to have been processed by September.

We don't think this is fair. Please share your experience of waiting for PIP with us:
- how long did you have to wait (or have you been waiting) for your first payment?
- what impact has this had on your quality of life?
- what do you think about the fact that some people will miss out on receiving £150 in September? (NB the payment will be made eventually)
- are you living with cancer?

Thank you! 

Comments

• Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Hi,
    1.  From starting the process on 14th December 2021, it took 3 months and 23 days to receiving my first payment.
    2.  The wait had no impact on my life.  I can be impatient when applying for anything (not just PIP / benefits); to get around this, I just lock the application away in the back of my mind and wait for the application to run its course.
    3. There has to be a stake in the ground; in the context of your question, the stake is 25th May.  
    4.  Thankfully not (that I`m aware of).
    For those who started a claim before the 25th May, and who you believe won`t get the £150 in September, surely a late payment is better than none at all?
    Andy
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There's many reasons why a decision can be delayed, backlogs are just part of that reason. Covid caused backlogs, which they are still experiencing.  I think a lot of people forget that Covid is still very much here and employees are having time off for sickness because of it.
    People would still be anxious and impatient if the timescale was 8 weeks from applying. As for the £150 payment, i agree with Cartini, a late payment is better than no payment at all.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

- what do you think about the fact that some people will miss out on receiving £150 in September? (NB the payment will be made eventually)

While I get they will receive it "eventually" (same the the cost of living low income one if they're later found to have been entitled to means tested benefit) the fact claims are taking so long to process being the reason they get awarded it eventually is a concern. I agree with better late than never but also there's no telling when that will be and September is the start of autumn when costs are supposed to be an issue and people really struggle. I think it's such a worrying time for everyone that those in need of help through disability or illness really shouldn't have to be waiting for so long. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who's shared so far :) Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    If the current average is 20 weeks, what did it used to be? 
  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Options

Hi @Biblioklept I think the  most recent government figures do state that the whole process from making a new claim for PIP, from the initial phone call to the DWP to receiving the award letter can take up to 20 weeks.  Other sources put the delay at nearer 24 weeks.

Most of this delay is the waiting time for an assessment.  Government figures put this at 17 weeks, but other sources say there is an average waiting time of at least 5 months.

Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Sorry my question was what did it used to be. The opening post says it is currently 20 weeks and how people are upset at that. I was wondering what it used to be for 20 weeks to seem so bad.
  • Alice_Macmillan
    Alice_Macmillan Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi @Biblioklept, I understand that the last time that average clearance times for claims under normal rules were 12 weeks or under was May 2018.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.