Universal credits. Would my UC be affected badly if I were to work 15 more hours? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credits. Would my UC be affected badly if I were to work 15 more hours?

Options
ella1992
ella1992 Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
edited August 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi can anybody advice me so currently I work 8 hours a week I get work.allonce  on my unvcail credits how ever at this time I need to get a nother job I'm finding it hard to live iv been offered 15 hours  a week on top of my 8 hours so I'm wondering will this effect Mt unvcail credits badly as At the moment they only use 3pounds of my earnings so I am better off but I'm not because I can't afford to feed or nothing it's effectively making me more ill 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello there @ella1992

Thanks for making this post and asking us about your UC.

Have you seen this page over on the Entitled To website? It contains information about the UC work allowance and allows you to see what your work allowance should be for your particular UC claim. The work allowance would be the amount you can earn before your UC is impacted.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • ella1992
    Options
    I just did on entiled to it says I would still gey this but don't belive it 
  • ella1992
    Options
    Sorry forgot to add I oready get work capability assessment from 2020 I work between 8 and 9 week but iv been offered extre 15hours I need to no if I will lose my work capability money or not 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,605 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Any earnings above your work allowance will reduce your UC by 55%. So for example if your earnings are £700 per month and your work allowance is £344. Then £356 of your earnings will be affected by the 55% deductions. To work that out you x 356 x 0.55 = £195.80 deductions.
    Hope this helps you work out how much your increased earnings will affect your UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ella1992
    Options
    Hi poppy I mean will I lose my work capability as I no on esa if u work more than 16hours u lose ur benefit with this second job il get 931 in total and il be working 24hours a week this is joint claim with my partner I'm.meanting to be starting 2morrow but I'm unsure what to do also if I start luckly this months payment won't be effected I just heard some story's if its over 600 il lose my work capability money 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    ella1992 said:
    Hi poppy I mean will I lose my work capability as I no on esa if u work more than 16hours u lose ur benefit with this second job il get 931 in total and il be working 24hours a week this is joint claim with my partner I'm.meanting to be starting 2morrow but I'm unsure what to do also if I start luckly this months payment won't be effected I just heard some story's if its over 600 il lose my work capability money 
    On ESA your ESA stops if you work 16 hours. These rules do not apply to UC.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • ella1992
    Options
    Yes I no on esa it does I read something on uc it said over 600 but not sure if it was fake or not 
  • ella1992
    Options
     this is what I saw on Google is this fake then 
  • calcotti
    edited August 2022
    Options
    ella1992 said:
    Yes I no on esa it does I read something on uc it said over 600 but not sure if it was fake or not 
    Without knowing what you read it's impossible to comment and say why it's probably a misunderstanding/wrong. It may refer to rules that mean that if you were already receiving around that you would in most cases not be referred for a Work Capability Assessment to start with. That is not relevant once you have a WCA decision.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • ella1992
    Options
    Iv just uploaded it now not sure if it's showing or 
  • calcotti
    Options
    So see the distinction I have made in my previous post. What you have quoted says you will be automatically treated as Ft for Work if you earn over the threshold UNLESS one of the exceptions in the bullet points above apply, one of which is already having a WCA decision that has found you not Fit for Work.
  • ella1992
    Options
    So does that mean I won't be effected or I will 
  • calcotti
    Options
    ella1992 said:
    I inferred from your post that you have LCWRA and are getting the extra £354/mont for that. If that is correct you have already been found to have LCWRA and you are not affected. 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    ella1992 said:
    Earning more than the £569 won't mean you lose your LCWRA because you already have LCWRA. 

That quote you shared is for those who haven't yet been awarded <3 
  • ella1992
    Options
    OK thank u just quick update iv taken the 7.5 hours one so with my other job it's 16.50 I couldn't do 24 a week I think I was pushing my self into something I'm.not ready I just feel though as so my earrings will be 640 a month I think 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If you claim for help with the rent then your deductions will be £162.80/month.
    If you don't claim for help with the rent then your deductions will be £36.85/month.
    Please remember that UC is based on earnings received during your assessment period. If earnings fluctuate then so will your UC entitlement.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • ella1992
    Options
    I get  help with rent 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    So the deductions will be £162.80. This is based on earnings received of £640/month.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.