Universal credit. Can my son apply to not have to attend the Jobcentre? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit. Can my son apply to not have to attend the Jobcentre?

Options
apples
apples Community member Posts: 234 Courageous
edited August 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Sorry for all the posts made by me.

my son is trying to apply for uc, he is autistic and adhd and has been getting pip for a number of years (he’s 21)

when applying for uc he is told he has to go to the jobcentre to attend an assessment / meeting although due to his condition he finds it hard to go and gives up on the application and throws a tantrum

he rang cab today but they didn’t really help and told him to ring uc so he did and was told the same he has to attend the jobcentre

does anyone know if he can apply due to his disability and not have to attend the jobcentre

any info very much appreciated
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good evening @apples

Thank you for posting and telling us about your son. 

Has he enquired about whether the meetings can be done over the phone as a reasonable adjustment? Do you think that would be easier for him?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    CAB are correct. Just to check, has he done a Change of Circumstances on his UC account and reported his health conditions and have you also submitted the dates of his fit note? After 4 weeks he should get a UC50.

There really isn’t much that can be done other than attending unfortunately, you could try and leave a message on his journal or calling explaining how his difficulties would significantly restrict him attending and it’d be easier being over the phone but again it really is down to the Work Coach because I’m sure you have read that fit notes don’t stop appointments. If he struggles to manage his daily affairs then maybe consider applying to be an appointee.
  • apples
    Options
    Thank you for the replies Ross_scope they refused to allow him to have a telephone appointment 

bg844 he doesn’t currently get uc that’s why he’s trying to apply for it so no journal or fit notes, he doesn’t live with me he is living with my parents as his mother committed suicide some years s ago and my ex was bullying him so he went to my parents and due to his condition and change he wants to stay with them so not sure if I can be an appointee 

he might have to attend the initial meeting to get uc started and then declare his condition and how it affects him leaving the house / engaging with people ?
  • apples
    Options
    *not liking change* I meant
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry I mis-read the last part. Nearly every UC application has some sort of an initial appointment, this can be anything from the ID check or to know the full circumstances of a claim. The vast majority of Work Coaches do have compassion for claimants and aren’t unreasonable, if he did apply I’m sure they would make reasonable adjustments based on his needs and this could be in the form of infrequent telephone appointments to do tick boxing until assessed on the health assessment.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,666 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When claiming UC you are classed as a job seeker until a decision is made on your work capability assessment. It's a work coahes discretion to turn off or reduce work commiments. Some reduce them, others turn them off, while you get some that won't do anything at all.
    If he claims UC he will need to make sure he continues to send fit notes without any gaps until a decision is made on the work capability assesment.
    For the appointee it's a different process to any other benefit. Speaking from personal experience with becoming my daughters appointee. I claimed UC for her myself, as if i was her. Once the claim was all done, i put a note onto her journal asking to become her appointee and the reasons why. The following day i was contacted by someone who set up the appointee over the phone.
    I now have full control over her UC, including receiving her money into my bank, which i then pass onto her. All contact is made through me but because she was found to have LCWRA then there's no contact now anyway.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • apples
    Options
    Thank you so much bg844 and poppy I think the appointee is the option to take 👍

I’ll have a read on the link posted so thank you once again you lot are awesome 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    apples said:
    I’ll have a read on the link posted so thank you once again you lot are awesome 
    Please take note of my advice above also regarding the appointee.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • apples
    Options
    @poppy123456 if you claimed uc initially as your daughter how did you attend the assessment / meeting or did you ask to be her appointee before the assessment / meeting ?

thanks 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2022
    Options
    As described by poppy, she completed the online UC claim as if she was her daughter and immediately the UC journal was open posted a note in the journal explaining what she had done and asking to be her appointee. (Hope I've understood that correctly.)
    As a appointee she then acts on behalf of her daughter.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • apples
    Options
    Thank you calcotti I totally forgot you can apply for uc online I completed mine by phone
  • poppy123456
    Options
    calcotti said:
    As described by poppy, she completed the online UC claim as if she was her daughter and immediately the UC journal was open posted a note in the journal explaining what she had done and asking to be her appointee. (Hope I've understood that correctly.)
    As a appointee she then acts on behalf of her daughter.

Spot on calcotti, thanks. After her first telephone appointment (completed by me) all work commiments were turned off.
  • apples
    Options
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @apples. It is the very least you deserve. If we can do anything else to support you, please don't hesitate to let us know. We are all here for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.