Blue badge/approved after appeal — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Blue badge/approved after appeal

Options
chrisssy
chrisssy Community member Posts: 94 Courageous
Hello everybody

i’ve recently done some discussions regarding my experience with blue badge and I would like to share with you my experience on the process

A couple of months ago I apply for a blue badge as I have a hidden disability 

I was refused and I just felt like the blue badge team/scheme did not look at my application properly or even take into account my hidden disabilities

so when I was refused I had a right to appeal which I did do 

after 2 to 3 weeks I received an appointment for an assessment 

which I attended on the phone

I found the whole process a little bit overwhelming because I felt like I had to keep explaining my hidden disability

everybody’s disability is completely different and everybody’s unique in their own way

I just found on my experience I just kept explaining myself that I had a disability hidden

The blue badge scheme now give you the right to apply for a blue badge for mental health issues/hidden disabilities

for some reason they wasn’t completely understanding or taken in account yes I can walk I’ve never said I couldn’t walk I am talking about my hidden disability/mental health issues and how I struggle on everyday basis

even though I am on PIP and I do receive both sides of daily living and mobility part I only scored 10 points on unable to follow a unfamiliar route but if there was an obstacle course on my familiar route this will completely throw me off and I won’t be able to continue with my journey which I feel like the blue badge team do not take into account 

so after a lot of distress and an assessment later I am pleased to announce I have been approved for a blue badge

i’m over the moon because I feel like in my case I’m taking a stand for people with hidden disabilities not everybody is the same just because I can walk doesn’t mean I’m not disabled

Any advice I can give to other people is persistence pays off keep trying please do not take no for an answer not everybody fits in the same category or has the same disabilities

I just want to say a massive thank you to everyone who supported me on my journey I’m very grateful for everybody’s advice @poppy123456

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.