LCWRA When should my son claim — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWRA When should my son claim

misslander
misslander Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi , my son is 20 Oct , he’s finished his college course, I’ll be having my last tax credits payment on the 17 August and I think had the last payment of child benefit, my son receives PIP when could he apply for universal credit / LCWRA, any advice would be great, thank you . 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,317 Disability Gamechanger
    He will be able to claim in his own right once child benefit/tax credits ends. 
    He will need to report his health condition and send in fit notes to start the work capability assessment process off. He will need to continue to send the fit notes without any gaps until a decision is made on the work capability assessment.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • misslander
  • poppy123456
    One question that completely slipped my mind. Will he be able to manage his own claim? If he's mentally incapable or severely disabled, then you can become his appointee. https://www.gov.uk/become-appointee-for-someone-claiming-benefits
    For UC the process is slightly different. Speaking from personal experience with becoming my daughters appointee.
    I claimed UC for her myself, as if i was her. Once the claim was all done, i put a note onto her journal asking to become her appointee and the reasons why. The following day i was contacted by someone who set up the appointee over the phone.
    He may need to attend his Local Job centre with you when he first claims. There may also be some work commiments, which may include attending appointments etc. When claiming UC you're classed as a job seeker until a decision on your work capability assessment says otherwise.
    A work coach has discretion to turn off or reduce work commiments. Some do and others don't.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • misslander
    poppy , thank you . Yes I am his appointee , 
  • misslander
    One question that completely slipped my mind. Will he be able to manage his own claim? If he's mentally incapable or severely disabled, then you can become his appointee. https://www.gov.uk/become-appointee-for-someone-claiming-benefits
    For UC the process is slightly different. Speaking from personal experience with becoming my daughters appointee.
    I claimed UC for her myself, as if i was her. Once the claim was all done, i put a note onto her journal asking to become her appointee and the reasons why. The following day i was contacted by someone who set up the appointee over the phone.
    He may need to attend his Local Job centre with you when he first claims. There may also be some work commiments, which may include attending appointments etc. When claiming UC you're classed as a job seeker until a decision on your work capability assessment says otherwise.
    A work coach has discretion to turn off or reduce work commiments. Some do and others don't.

Yes I’m his appointee , thanks for the information. 
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2022

Being his appointee for PIP does not cover any UC claim because they are different benefits. You will need to do what what i advised in an earlier comment.
  • misslander

Being his appointee for PIP does not cover any UC claim because they are different benefits. You will need to do what what i advised in an earlier comment.
    Thank you , I will have to do that , 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    How are you getting on @misslander?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.