Wrong esa — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wrong esa

Options
kathy72steph
kathy72steph Community member Posts: 7 Listener
I've been on esa since 2016 and they say in on contribution  base when I know I was on income before May this year.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Your ESA from 2016 is a claim for both contribution based and income based. The contribution based entitlement will always take priority if you you were eligible and if in the Support Group that will continue indefinitely. Where the ESA payment is a mix of both DWP will label the award as income based but it remains both.

If your financial situation has changed this could result in the reduction of the income based top up to nil and you would be left with contribution based ESA only.

If you receive £117.60/week then you are almost certainly currently receiving contribution based ESA only. If you receive more than this then some of it is income based. 

If your finances have changed and are not entitled to contribution based ESA then you would likely be receiving less than £117.60/week.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • kathy72steph
    Options
    Hi nothing as changed only i started getting direct payment from my local government to pay for a carer. The Dwp says I was always getting contributions based but in my letter from them they say
    Because of changes you are
    Not getting any more income-related employment  and support allowance 
    And dropped my money down to 117.60 a week. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,235 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Direct payments do not affect the amount of Income Related benefits you're entitled to.
    How much ESA were you receiving before the letter?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kathy72steph
    Options
    I've had £70 stopped and£17.00stopped from my benefits.  They said its because I'm getting Direct payment.  But before I'm sure I was on contribution/income esa
    Because now that I'm only on contribution I can get the 650 from the government help.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You need to ring ESA because direct payments do not affect your entitlement to any means tested benefits. Do you have any other income, such as pensions? savings/capital over £6,000? live with a working partner?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Options

Will getting a direct payment affect any benefits we're receiving?

Direct payments given to you as a carer or to someone receiving care to purchase services to meet your needs are not counted as ‘income’ for any benefits you receive, and so would not affect any of your benefits.

However, if the person you are looking after pays you or anyone else with their direct payments, then this would count as ‘earnings’ and might affect any benefits you, or anyone else being paid, receives.

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/practical-support/getting-care-and-support/direct-payments

• kathy72steph
    Options
    I dont work or have a partner.  I have a live in carer paid by direct payment. Esa confirmed last November that we are not a couple and he is a carer and his wages are nothing to do with me. But I lost £62.45 severely disabled and £15.90 disability income guarantee. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The Enhanced disability premium which is now £17.75/week should not have stopped. 
    The SDP stopping is correct because you’re now living with another adult, who is your carer so you’re not entitled to the SDP. 
    You will need to contact ESA about the Enhanced disability premium.
  • kathy72steph
    Options
    Thank you for your information but the E.D.Premium should they stop that out off my pip not my esa
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Thank you for your information but the E.D.Premium should they stop that out off my pip not my esa

No, because Enhanced disability premium is part of ESA and nothing to do with any PIP claim. Based on the information you've given here the EDP should not have stopped from your ESA at all. The SDP stopping is correct.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.