Hi, my name is lawnfnder85! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is lawnfnder85!

Options
lawnfinder85
lawnfinder85 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
I have suffered a loss of balance for about three years, during this period I have been involved with a couple of doctors, nurses and two excellent consultants.  The verdict in my case seems to be Ataxia with the likely cause of Pernicious Anaemia.  Generally speaking nothing much has been able to reveal or pin down any specific cause or treatment so I am accepting this and adjusted my life to suit the situation I have dropped for.

At this stage I'm not sure which could be the best forum to contact...hope this is the one.  I am  not seeking any sympathies just an understanding that we all have some problems which we are able to mention openly during any conversation with other folk.  My wife is my officially recognised carer and registered with the North Yorkshire appropriate department. Naturally I have qualified for a blue badge which seemed ironic at the time as my driving licence withdrawal promoted my wife to that of chauffeur........lucky I encouraged her in the 60's to get licenced eh?

I live in the Selby, area and since being able to get out and about a bit since some covid restrictions
were lifted, I have discovered that most of the population in these parts are extremely helpful and considerate to people with problems.  As I am practically unable to walk far without some mechanical or human assistance it is easy to spot that I do have a problem.  I am very happy that while I am being reasonably 'still,'  ie sitting in an armchair, being driven from A to B or using any sort of mobility aid like a rolator or mobility scooter I am ok.  It seems to be when I start lifting my feet in or to walk that I get a feeling of unsteadyness ...hey ho,  be grateful for the good things we still have eh?  

I would like to give big a THANKYOU  to everyone who shows understanding to any of us in particular to our excellent NHS people whatever their work roll happens to be..  Thank you also to 

Adrian (from Scope) for your initial welcome to me earlier when I got in touch with the forum.

Just hoping I am ok here and not offended anybody 🤔.   It's not too easy nowadays for an old fashioned 85 year old to keep within the latest political correct ideas. 

Good luck to everyone...stay safe .. (Sorry about rambling on too much)  🤗

Lawnfinder85.

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,754 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @lawnfnder85 welcome to the forum, thankyou for telling us about yourself. Your definately not rambling and yes it's a good job you nudged your wife to pass her driving test. 
    I'm glad you joined, as a lot of us are struggling one way or another, we tend to support each other, plus there are great topics to join in with, from a very wide range of interests. 
    I hope to see you posting around the site.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.