PIP reviews — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP reviews

Options
bluefox
bluefox Community member Posts: 636 Pioneering
I have just spoken to PIPP the professionals and they are telling me that review forms are usually sent out 6 months before review date and at the moment, reviews are taken in some instances 15 months! 

Is this information correct? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,852 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When ringing PIP you're speaking to someone from a call centre, not someone from DWP. The review forms being sent out 6 months before is correct under normal times.
    Some have had their awards extended because of the backlogs so the form could arrive at anytime.
    As for timescales well, there isn't any as such because they are just guide. New claims are taking priority over reviews so yes it could take 10 months sometimes longer for a decision on a review.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bluefox
    Options
    Thank you, poppy.

May I also ask. What happens to the payments during this process? For example: if they decided to take some of your award off you. Would they reclaim some of that money? 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,656 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, that's correct.  I've been waiting 12 months for the review decision on mine now. 

They are extending awards for 3 months at a time until the decision is made, so your payments shouldn't stop unless you fail to return the review forms before the deadline.
  • bluefox
    Options
    Yes, that's correct.  I've been waiting 12 months for the review decision on mine now. 

They are extending awards for 3 months at a time until the decision is made, so your payments shouldn't stop unless you fail to return the review forms before the deadline.
    When you say a decision. Do you mean you've already done all the forms and the assessment etc but you're waiting for their decision on what you've been awarded?

Sorry if I'm coming across stupid.
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options
    sierrafox said:

May I also ask. What happens to the payments during this process? For example: if they decided to take some of your award off you. Would they reclaim some of that money? 
    No.  The delay in decisions is due to their backlog, they can't reclaim money for that.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    sierrafox said:
    Thank you, poppy.

Once a decision is made on your review that decision overrules your current award. If the award is lower then the new payments start from when the decision was made. If refused payments will stop and there maybe a very small overpayment depending on when the decision was made.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • OverlyAnxious
    edited August 2022
    Options
    sierrafox said:

When you say a decision. Do you mean you've already done all the forms and the assessment etc but you're waiting for their decision on what you've been awarded?

Sorry if I'm coming across stupid.
    I sent the review forms 12 months ago.  I have not had an assessment - but I'm hoping for a paper based assessment so will just get the decision in the post.

(I can't travel, speak or manage any person face to face/on video.  So if I'm not awarded by paper, will have no way to complete an assessment myself.)
  • bluefox
    Options
    sierrafox said:
    Thank you, poppy.

Once a decision is made on your review that decision overrules your current award. If the award is lower then the new payments start from when the decision was made. If refused payments will stop and there maybe a very small overpayment depending on when the decision was made.
    Thank you

Well since my review is March 2023 and that’s 6 months away. I may just do my review now as a “change of circumstances”. There’s a possibility I need more help because I’m really struggling. My house mate said to me yesterday that I “stink”. Even though I’ve already been awarded prompting for washing/bathing. I probably wouldn’t score more points for being encouraged to shower. 

Though the mobility side is still a cause for concern to me and I actually think I could score for 1F now rather than 1E. 

That said, I have some new conditions in the form of PTSD, tics and more aspects of functional neurological disorder. And my GP recently offered to support me with a PIP claim. 

It seems the right time to look at my current award and gather the necessary evidence. 

But… I appreciate I could also be doing the wrong thing but with the review 6 months away, it seems the right thing to do. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    sierrafox said:

Even though I’ve already been awarded prompting for washing/bathing. I probably wouldn’t score more points for being encouraged to shower. 

Supervision or prompting is covered under the same descriptor and scores 2 points. Therefore no further points could be scored here.
    sierrafox said:

Though the mobility side is still a cause for concern to me and I actually think I could score for 1F now rather than 1E. 

For the mobility, are you unable to go out the majority of the time because of OPD?
  • bluefox
    edited August 2022
    Options
    sierrafox said:

Even though I’ve already been awarded prompting for washing/bathing. I probably wouldn’t score more points for being encouraged to shower. 

Supervision or prompting is covered under the same descriptor and scores 2 points. Therefore no further points could be scored here.
    sierrafox said:

For the mobility, are you unable to go out the majority of the time because of OPD?
    I have been out once in the last 7 days. My CBT therapist was trying to tackle this issue back in December-March but discharged me. 

I can’t leave the house alone to go anywhere. I don’t use public transport whatsoever. I have panic attacks and non epileptic seizures.

That said rarely I’ll make a journey. Maybe once or twice a week.  Often I do them at night to avoid traffic and busy daytime. 

But there was a period where I didn’t leave my house during my award for around 6 months. Maybe even longer than that to be honest. 

Also sometimes I’ve spent 4-5 weeks not leaving the house but then had the odd good day. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Based on that information then you won't qualify for 1F. It will still be 1E 10 points.
    A claimant who satisfies 1E cannot also satisfy 1F. If they cannot undertake a single journey on the majority of days due to overwhelming psychological distress, then 1E will be the applicable descriptor, even if there are occasions when they could follow a familiar route, if accompanied.

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,698 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I sent the review forms 12 months ago.  I have not had an assessment - but I'm hoping for a paper based assessment so will just get the decision in the post.

(I can't travel, speak or manage any person face to face/on video.  So if I'm not awarded by paper, will have no way to complete an assessment myself.)
    Just curious, did you write this on your form? 
  • bluefox
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Based on that information then you won't qualify for 1F. It will still be 1E 10 points.
    A claimant who satisfies 1E cannot also satisfy 1F. If they cannot undertake a single journey on the majority of days due to overwhelming psychological distress, then 1E will be the applicable descriptor, even if there are occasions when they could follow a familiar route, if accompanied.

Truthfully, I suffer from paranoid thoughts and ideas. I think my award could be holding me back from defeating my agoraphobia. Probably 50% holding me back. I always feel like someone is watching me. 

I was taught some CBT techniques around exposure. I was also taught some techniques about panic attacks but it hasn’t reduced my symptoms. That’s why I’m going to a different service now. 

Can you help me with this wording, poppy?

‘Any journey’ means that in order to satisfy the descriptor on any particular day the person must not be able to manage to undertake a single journey. If the person can manage to leave the home to undertake a journey once then on that day the descriptor is not satisfied, even if they’re unable to undertake other journeys during the same day. Being able to complete a journey at night time only however, is not considered to be completing a journey to an acceptable standard. Therefore, in these instances, this descriptor may be appropriate.

What is classed as “night time”? Is it 11pm-6am?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I would say night time is probably 10pm to about 6am. When you go out at night, this doesn't count for this descriptor. If you're unable to go out the majority of the time during day time then 1E would be the correct descriptor.
    You shouldn't let this activity stop you from going out sometimes because that's not what it's about. I think this was covered in another thread.
  • bluefox
    Options
    I would say night time is probably 10pm to about 6am. When you go out at night, this doesn't count for this descriptor. If you're unable to go out the majority of the time during day time then 1E would be the correct descriptor.
    You shouldn't let this activity stop you from going out sometimes because that's not what it's about. I think this was covered in another thread.
    I’ve seen some of the threads all over the places. Rightsnet, benefitsandwork, here and my own research. 

It’s such a confusing descriptor to me personally. I mean if you’re awarded this you’re allowed a blue badge for parking. 

Seen this in a different thread:

If you can manage to go out to places, familiar or unfamiliar by being accompanied, then it is unlikely you will be able to claim under 1e. This is providing that the person accompanying means you are safe, timely,acceptable etc. If the other person adds nothing to allay your heightened anxiety etc you don't need them!

• poppy123456
    Options
    sierrafox said:

If you can manage to go out to places, familiar or unfamiliar by being accompanied, then it is unlikely you will be able to claim under 1e. This is providing that the person accompanying means you are safe, timely,acceptable etc. If the other person adds nothing to allay your heightened anxiety etc you don't need them!

That is incorrect.

• bluefox
    Options
    sierrafox said:

That is incorrect.

Oh and that's a benefitsandwork advisor... 

Hmm
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Isn't the the place where they charge you £20 a year membership? :#
  • bluefox
    Options
    Isn't the the place where they charge you £20 a year membership? :#
    Correct
  • poppy123456
    Options
    So that's the 2nd time you've have very poor advice from there... there's nothing more to say really.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.