Cancelling ESA (contribution based) to receive full UC LWCRA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cancelling ESA (contribution based) to receive full UC LWCRA

krippled
krippled Community member Posts: 18 Connected
After already losing my SDP due to calculated overnight appointment creation without notice via requested notification channel (causing claim to be stopped and new claim date not within time frame), an unsuccessful MR, although MR decision maker confirmed I was eligible and qualified to receive SDP) I missed tribunal date due to overwhelming ptsd issues and anxiety of which the decision to refuse transitional SDP all resulted in increasing mental health issues. I am going to apply to the Courts for my case to be heard. As I have now been diagnosed with ptsd i think I will have a higher chance of getting a tribunal and receive my SDP and also SDP back payments

The 'work coach' who completed my fit to work assessment after reading my entries to Universal Credit health section immediately told me that he was in no doubt in placing me in the LWCRA group of UC.

I requested my payments to be fortnightly rather than 4 weekly 
and expected the transition from esa to uc to be dealt with automatically ensuring no monetary loss on my behalf however this never happened 

I've contacted my Case Manager who told me they can't contact ESA to discuss my claim, however, what confuses me is their knowledge of esa received so they can deduct the amount from my UC payment.

I want to cancel my esa to receive full LWCRA as I will be better off, however do not want to end up struggling on two payments of £45 while awaiting arrear UC to catch up.

My cycle runs from the 12th of the month to the 13th of the following. My next esa payment is due on the 12th therefore seems like the best time to cancel although if cancelled I'm thinking there will be no  renumeration until the following cycle.

If no payment of esa is paid from the 12th and no renumeration either would this mean Id receive backpay for the prior cycle??

Much appreciated for any help

Krip

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2022
    Unfortunately I do not what understand you are asking about.

Are you saying you get both UC and new contribution ESA. If so you get exact the amount getting the amount of total example of total income based on both as of getting UC only other than that the payments will be split between fortnightly ESA payments and monthly payments for UC.

I understand it may be managing cash flow easier however if you were to stop your ESA you will never be able to claim it again and you could be worse off if something changes in the future which ends UC entitlement in which you would be glad of still having contribution based ESA.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,346 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't understand either why you want to cancel the ESA because as calcotti has advised this could be useful in the future. Your overall benefits entitlement will not change by doing this, it will remain the same.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • krippled
    krippled Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    calcotti said:
    Unfortunately I do not what understand you are asking about.

Are you saying you get both UC and new contribution ESA. If so you get exact the amount getting the amount of total example of total income based on both as of getting UC only other than that the payments will be split between fortnightly ESA payments and monthly payments for UC.

I understand it may be managing cash flow easier however if you were to stop your ESA you will never be able to claim it again and you could be worse off if something changes in the future which ends UC entitlement in which you would be glad of still having contribution based ESA.
    Apologies I meant income related ESA. 

I was in reciept of Contribution (Support Group) & recieving Severe Disability Premium. What the DWP are doing is disgraceful on top of discrimination towards those on ESA & PIP regarding paying those who were on UC during lockdown an extra £20 per week because they were unable to work, this was also true of those on ESA who could work16hrs per week.

Do you know if the new style ESA contain the Support group element or is the best way to go about fighting this by attempting to obtain a tribunal verdict 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2022
    Sorry this doesn’t make sense. If you claim UC you then you cannot get income ESA because cannot any income based ESA you had would have been cancelled as soon as you applied for ESA. If you were getting income based ESA with the SDP whenever you claimed UC then you would have got some transitional protection but would nonetheless have got that the ESA and over the time the transitional protection would reduce over time. There’s anything you can do about it after UC has been claimed.

Really not clear what you are trying to say - sorry.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,346 Disability Gamechanger
    krippled said:
    What the DWP are doing is disgraceful on top of discrimination towards those on ESA & PIP regarding paying those who were on UC during lockdown an extra £20 per week because they were unable to work, this was also true of those on ESA who could work16hrs per week.

That's not quite correct. The £20/week uplift was given to everyone claiming UC and working tax credits. If a person is working 16 hours per week while claiming ESA then the ESA would end.
    You're not making it very clear to understand.
    When you claimed UC were you claiming ESA and did this include the Severe disability premium?
    krippled said:

Do you know if the new style ESA contain the Support group element or is the best way to go about fighting this by attempting to obtain a tribunal verdict 

Yes, it does. New style ESA Support Group is £117.60/week. The amount deducted from your UC would be £509 per month.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.