Who is eligible for social housing? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Who is eligible for social housing?

Options
DoneAndBeyond
DoneAndBeyond Community member Posts: 9 Listener
For example like Home Choice Plus. I'm looking to move out of my parents home but am on PIP and ESA. Am I elligible for social housing?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you’re a single person then the waiting list would likely be very very long. You can of course put your name down on the waiting list for social housing in your area but a lot of areas have waiting lists of several years. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,666 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As an example our son has been on the waiting list for 8 years now, priority is rightly given to those with children as social housing is unable to cope with the demand put on it.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    For example like Home Choice Plus. I'm looking to move out of my parents home but am on PIP and ESA. Am I elligible for social housing?
    It very much depends on your area as they all have different criteria. Those who need to move out for disability or health reasons and those that are homeless take priority in my area, regardless of if they are single or have children. 
    The wait lists everywhere are quite long but don't let it put you off. Better to start not than to be in this same position starting in 5 years. 

Go on your local council website and search for their housing register information as it should show you the best ways to go about it. Some housing associations let you apply directly to them and others say you need to be on the council list. What area do you live in?
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @DoneAndBeyond :) Have you had a chance to take a look at your local council's website to see what the situation might be like in your local area? 

Have you looked at any other options, such as private renting? As a private renter, I know it can be pretty expensive, and that many landlords unfortunately won't accept those whose main income comes from benefit payments. That being said, some landlords do accept benefit claimants, so all hope isn't lost. 

Would living with other people be a possibility for you, such as in a house or flat share? That's usually considerably cheaper than renting alone, at least in my experience.

You could also see whether there are any suitable housing associations in your area that offer more affordable housing. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Luchia
    Luchia Community member Posts: 278 Pioneering
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Everyone is eligible but it depends on your circumstances if you will actually ever get an offer, I was recently given Band B Medical(highest band here) due to my current home been unsuitable as it has steps and my mobility is very poor and was told it usually takes 2-12 months of bidding.

This is what I was told with local council

Band A - No registered Band A(2022) - Random offer will be made, No Viewing, If offer declined they will be removed from list and account closed.
    Band B Medical - Highest priority, Should be housed in 2-12 months.
    Band B Non Medical - Should be housed in 2-4 years.
    Band C - Should be housed in 4-8+ years.
    Band D - Unlikely to ever get an offer 20+ Years.
    Band E - No offer will ever be given.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.