Do shops need to accommodate? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do shops need to accommodate?

Options
elizabeth01
elizabeth01 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
I had a very scary experience a few days ago, the shop lift wasn't large enough for me to navigate with my power chair, the doors did not have a sensor and shut whilst I was trying to leave causing me to get stuck with my chair and in the process injury myself. I have contacted the store's customer service, was given £5 off that expires next month and told they would pass it on. I'm not sure that I want to return to the store ever again, but if I did I could access half of it. 

I'm not sure whether I just have to accept that some stores won't have appropriate accommodation that makes me feel safe? Any thoughts on this are most welcome thank you. 

To add this is not a small store this is a large company with multiple stores countrywide. 
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I'm not sure of the answer  but I come across shops all the time that don't even have a lift and these are all big stores and multi venue companies eg sports direct , scs sofa store a few I've come across 

I think it is something to do with age of building as yo if they have to be accessible 

A good question some you can't even get in the doorway 
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,446 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
             It does depend on the building. I worked in a retailers where the door was on a corner and due to the gradient of the step we were unable to allow disabled access. The council agreed that we couldn't make any alterations. It was a very old building certainly not build with access in mind.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your negative experience @elizabeth01 that must've been very distressing. 

Have you recovered from your injury now?

As others have mentioned, frustratingly, some older building are designed without access in mind, but even in some newer buildings, access is certainly lacking, and often an afterthought!
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • elizabeth01
    elizabeth01 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your negative experience @elizabeth01 that must've been very distressing. 

Have you recovered from your injury now?

As others have mentioned, frustratingly, some older building are designed without access in mind, but even in some newer buildings, access is certainly lacking, and often an afterthought!
    Thank you I am okay now thankfully. Yes this is as far as I can tell a new build just an outdated lift, the shop assistant without empathy even acknowledged they knew it was an issue. 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,698 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A £5 off voucher with a short expiry doesn't sound like they were too concerned about your complaint :( 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.