Severe disability premium — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe disability premium

Options
gailwindy
gailwindy Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi 👋 I was hoping someone could help me. I am presently in receipt of esa and have just been awarded enhanced pip , my partner recently passed away and I now live alone . I was sent a form to claim severe disability premium from the DWP and they granted me payment, I will become a pensioner next month will my pip and severe disability premium still be paid to me. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,710 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You will need to claim pension credit for the SDP. Do be aware that there are huge backlogs for pension credit claims and you could be waiting about 6 months. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Just to add further. You may want to use a benefits calculator first before applying just to check entitlement. Whether entitled to pension credit will depend on your circumstances. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=e0086852-407c-4a35-988b-2f70825df5ac

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • gailwindy
    Options
  • gailwindy
    Options
    Thank you . Will I have to apply to change from severe disability living premium to pension credit or will they contact me ? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    As advised here
    You will need to claim pension credit for the SDP.

As you reach state pension age next month then you can start your pension credit claim now. See link. https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit/how-to-claim

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    How are things going for you at the moment @gailwindy? I appreciate it has been a little while since you last posted on this thread now.

I hope things are well for you at the moment. If we can do anything to support you though please don't hesitate to let us know  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.