Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Hi, my name is south28! Can my son claim carers allowance for looking after me?

south28 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hello all.

Wondering if anyone knows the answer to this. If I get limited work capability and I still work(when I can) is it possible for my son to claim carers allowance fir looking after me?


  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @south28 and welcome to the online community :) 

    Thank you for joining and creating your first discussion, I have moved it over to our benefits and financial support category.

    I wanted to share the below information from the EntitledTo website, which says the following about eligibility for CA or the carers element of UC.

    If you or your partner care for someone who claims a disability benefit you or your partner may be entitled to Carer's Allowance. If you are claiming Universal Credit you may be entitled to the Carer's Element.

    To claim Carer's Allowance you must:
    • Be aged 16 or over;
    • Spend at least 35 hours a week looking after the person in need of care;
    • Have net earnings of less than £132 a week, from April 2022. Any childcare costs or replacement care costs associated with working can be deducted from your earnings when calculating whether you qualify. For more information see work-related costs and Carer's Allowance;
    • If you are in full-time education, to be entitled you must spend less than 21 hours in 'supervised study', and not doing a course described as full-time by the college or establishment providing it.
    In addition, the person for whom you care must be claiming (or waiting to hear about):
    • Attendance Allowance,
    • Disability Living Allowance (middle or higher rate for personal care),
    • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit,
    • Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension.
    • Personal Independence Payment (Daily Living Component at either Standard or enhanced rate).
    You must be over 16 to claim but there is no upper age limit. The person you care for can be anyone, including a relative. It can be paid to more than one person in a household, such as a couple caring for each other.
    To claim the Carer's Element of Universal Credit the eligibility rules are the same as for Carer's Allowance, but there is no earnings limit involved. Also, if you are receiving a Limited Capability for Work element  (LCW or LCWRA) in your Universal Credit the same person can't get the Carer's Element as well, whichever element is highest will be awarded. 

    If the person you are caring for gets a means-tested benefit they may lose their severe disability premium if you start claiming Carer’s Allowance (this does not apply if you are eligible but not receiving any money) or the Universal Credit Carer's Element. For more information see disability premiums in benefits.

    I hope you enjoy taking part in the online community and find it to be a positive outlet.

    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,976 Disability Gamechanger
    Just so it's a little easier to understand, if you can't understand the information above. Claiming LCW does not entitle anyone to claim carers allowance or carers element of UC for looking after you. You must be claiming a qualifying disability benefit such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,982 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks @poppy123456. You are always really informative, especially in this area!  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.