Exercise — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Exercise

Options
jprice
jprice Community member Posts: 24 Listener
Do you all get the help and support to meet your needs? 

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Are you wanting to exercise @jprice but not getting the support you need, or just curious about other's experiences? :)  
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • jprice
    Options
    Are you wanting to exercise @jprice but not getting the support you need, or just curious about other's experiences? :)  
    Hi Alex.
    I’m a GP Exercise referral instructor and I’m putting points forward to the Nhs via the support group I’m with to highly areas people need help. Enough people are not receiving the support they need.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    jprice said:  
    Hi Alex.
    I’m a GP Exercise referral instructor and I’m putting points forward to the Nhs via the support group I’m with to highly areas people need help. Enough people are not receiving the support they need.
    Thank you for explaining further the reason for your post. Speaking for myself as somebody with sight loss I'd say not. There are some forms of exercise that I'd like to do or try, but there doesn't appear to be the opportunity in my local area to give them a go. As with everything, availability is mainly in the bigger cities which is all very well, but travelling to one of those isn't really something I can commit to multiple times a week to exercise.

I'd be interested to hear from any other members about their experience.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • jprice
    Options
    jprice said:  
    Hi Alex.
    Thank you for explaining further the reason for your post. Speaking for myself as somebody with sight loss I'd say not. There are some forms of exercise that I'd like to do or try, but there doesn't appear to be the opportunity in my local area to give them a go. As with everything, availability is mainly in the bigger cities which is all very well, but travelling to one of those isn't really something I can commit to multiple times a week to exercise.

I'd be interested to hear from any other members about their experience.
    You’re welcome.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. What are the forms of exercise that you like doing? It’s a must that all are included and have the same opportunities for activities and exercise for health. 
    Have you tried mind and muscle connection with exercise? I use this a lot and don’t focus on what I can see, but what I can feel. A trainer talking to you in depth and getting the mind and muscle connection going would open up a much more for you to achieve goals. 
    Maybe a programme at home would suit you so there is no travelling. May I ask if you have enquired if there is anything like this your gp can recommend which is remote?
  • Ross_Alumni
    Options
    Hello @jprice

Thanks for your response. 

In terms of the forms of exercise, I'm quite interested in running (but using a guide runner of course) and cycling on a tandom. I have had equipment to exercise from home for a while and it has come in handy especially during the lockdowns, however I find that I don't enjoy the workouts anywhere near as much as I used to when I went to a gym many years ago. I get easily distracted, so I think it would benefit me to be out of the home.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • jprice
    Options
    Hello @jprice

Thanks for your response. 

In terms of the forms of exercise, I'm quite interested in running (but using a guide runner of course) and cycling on a tandom. I have had equipment to exercise from home for a while and it has come in handy especially during the lockdowns, however I find that I don't enjoy the workouts anywhere near as much as I used to when I went to a gym many years ago. I get easily distracted, so I think it would benefit me to be out of the home.
    You’re welcome.
    Great forms of exercise. So would you say motivation is a firm part of  along with the required assistance? 
    Lockdown had its uses making us all look at different ways to keep activie, and you did well by your comment, but I can see how being at home can cause distractions which would lose the motivation to keep going. A Community project within your local area would help greatly. I know there are different sources of funding yearly in most areas. It would be good to get this kind of information to them so they are aware of the needs of the community. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Options
    I think motivation is a big part of it @jprice, but for me in particular I think it's more about enjoying my workout. I don't exercise at home as much anymore because I don't enjoy it, however the thought of exercising outside of the home and with others enthuses me and brings that motivation. As you say, informing the council is probably something I should do, not least so they are aware that more access is something locals want. Whether they can deliver that or not.... well, we'll see :) 

• jprice
    Options
    Your so very right. It’s a must to enjoy @Ross_Scope. Without enjoyment motivation is next to zero. I totally understand the encouragement of others around. 

I do hope your local council can aid. They should have something in place or be thinking about putting something in place to ensure all are included. They have a duty of care to do this. Within my area we have a grant called the community chest. Local people bid with ideas to help the community after researching what is needed by the community. Once the project has enough interest it’s put forward for a grant to serve the desired area. I’m hoping there maybe something similar within your community.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That sounds like an interesting initiative @jprice :) Do you know what kind of projects it's funded recently?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • jprice
    Options
    Hi @Tori_Scope. Within my borough there are exercise classes that take place, however I’m trying to put forward a program that teaches people in the home like via zoom. Bespoke to the individuals health conditions and goals.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That sounds like such a wonderful idea @jprice. How is your proposed plan going so far?

I would love to hear more about how it goes for you. It sounds like you really will be advancing what is already available within your borough  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • jprice
    Options
    Thank you @L_Volunteer. It’s all in the early stages, but I’ve put it to the GP support group and will be applying for the community chest grant once it becomes available.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That sounds really good @jprice :) I used to do something reasonably similar in a previous job. I hope the application goes well! Keep us updated with how you get on. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • jprice
    Options
    That sounds really good @jprice :) I used to do something reasonably similar in a previous job. I hope the application goes well! Keep us updated with how you get on. 
    Thank you 😊
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there

I would like to do some form of exercise mainly to lose weight 

I am wheelchair bound unable to walk at all due to amputation also severely vision impaired so unable to go anywhere unaccompanied 

I have put on so much weight since becoming disabled and its not down to what I eat I am diabetic so have healthy diet 

It's purely the lack of exercise as the majority of bulk is in my stomach area from always sitting 

I have discussed with gp but everything available is a distance away it really needs to be at home 

Of course I could follow exercises off the Internet  but I lack motivation need to be prompted 

Anything you can suggest or use my example for your project 
  • jprice
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    Hi there

I am wheelchair bound unable to walk at all due to amputation also severely vision impaired so unable to go anywhere unaccompanied 

I have put on so much weight since becoming disabled and its not down to what I eat I am diabetic so have healthy diet 

It's purely the lack of exercise as the majority of bulk is in my stomach area from always sitting 

I have discussed with gp but everything available is a distance away it really needs to be at home 

Of course I could follow exercises off the Internet  but I lack motivation need to be prompted 

Thank you 😊
  • jprice
    Options
    jprice said:
    janer1967 said:
    Hi there

Thank you 😊
    Hi Jane.
    Thanks for sharing your experience, goals and what you have tired in terms of reaching out to your GP. It is great that you have looked at different thing like exercises on the internet, but there is only so much that can be done that way. One size does not fit all and with health conditions it really needs to be bespoke to you.  Sorry to read it’s not worked out for you so far, but there are ways around to keep you active without going anyway and to  get motivated. I train some of my clients via zoom seated chair exercise due to a range of problems which means they can’t stand. I think this be a good solution for you. I can give you a free consulation on zoom to talk through everything to do with your health connected to exercise and tips for diabetes control with food and exercise. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for your reply but due to my vision impairment I would be unable to follow any zoom session I can only see screens up close wearing g 6x magnifier can't get close enough to use laptop or anything 

To work I need to find a at home service which I doubt I would find on NHS 

• jprice
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    Thanks for your reply but due to my vision impairment I would be unable to follow any zoom session I can only see screens up close wearing g 6x magnifier can't get close enough to use laptop or anything 

To work I need to find a at home service which I doubt I would find on NHS 

You’re welcome. We could still do the consultation if you like and I will show you how you can use zoom to follow the directions. It’s 1-2-1 so can be conducted via guiding and talking you through the exercise with adjustments. It’s free fir the consultation. You have nothing to lose :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.