Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Further £100 for council tax support, pensioners and vulnerable

Options
Jeffers1308
Jeffers1308 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
I filled out a form for this yesterday for my mother, then I thought well I’m in receipt of council tax and vulnerable being disabled so I my local council this,:-

I think the application for the £100 one off payment from the aforementioned is very unfair for the following reasons

I am in receipt of council tax support, but not of pensionable age.

Because I am physically disabled with the following CHRONIC issues

Spina Bifida
Hydrocephalus with VP SHUNT
Chiari Malformation Type II

These conditions are defined as CHRONIC (lasting 12 months or more) and will not improve only get worse.

I have had the first two since birth, and the third diagnosed in 2001.

Thus I class myself as VULNERABLE as these issues will not get better.

Therefore I think I should qualify for the £100 also, as I class it as discrimination.

And this is their reply:-

Thank you for your email regarding the Household Support Fund. The Government funding for the latest Household Support Fund has a requirement that at least a third has to be awarded to people of pension age to assist with essential living costs. Therefore to meet this requirement a one off payment of £100 is being made to low income households of pensionable age by the Benefits department. 

The remaining funding is also being utilised across other services such as education/free school meals, housing options/homelessness and Shropshire Council’s Welfare Support Team. Therefore assistance is also being made available to and being provided to a number of non-pensionable age households. 

Therefore as you are not of pension age you will not receive the one off payment being made to low income pension age households from the Benefits Department but if you are having difficulties with bills and/or other cost of living matters we would advise you to contact the Welfare Support Team who also have Household Support Funding available on a discretionary basis  to assist low income and/or vulnerable residents of Shropshire.

The Welfare Support team can be contacted on 0345 678 9078 (option 2) and further information regarding Cost of living help can be found online at Shropshire Council’s website through the links below:

Cost of living help | Shropshire Council

Welfare Support Team - local welfare provision | Shropshire Council

I certainly think that is one rule for one and one for another ( if your a pensioner), 

What do other people think

Comments

• racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    I filled out a form for this yesterday for my mother, then I thought well I’m in receipt of council tax and vulnerable being disabled so I my local council this,:-

I think the application for the £100 one off payment from the aforementioned is very unfair for the following reasons

Spina Bifida

These conditions are defined as CHRONIC (lasting 12 months or more) and will not improve only get worse.

Therefore I think I should qualify for the £100 also, as I class it as discrimination.

Thank you for your email regarding the Household Support Fund. The Government funding for the latest Household Support Fund has a requirement that at least a third has to be awarded to people of pension age to assist with essential living costs. Therefore to meet this requirement a one off payment of £100 is being made to low income households of pensionable age by the Benefits department. 

The remaining funding is also being utilised across other services such as education/free school meals, housing options/homelessness and Shropshire Council’s Welfare Support Team. Therefore assistance is also being made available to and being provided to a number of non-pensionable age households. 

Therefore as you are not of pension age you will not receive the one off payment being made to low income pension age households from the Benefits Department but if you are having difficulties with bills and/or other cost of living matters we would advise you to contact the Welfare Support Team who also have Household Support Funding available on a discretionary basis  to assist low income and/or vulnerable residents of Shropshire.

The Welfare Support team can be contacted on 0345 678 9078 (option 2) and further information regarding Cost of living help can be found online at Shropshire Council’s website through the links below:

I certainly think that is one rule for one and one for another ( if your a pensioner), 

If I take your opinion further are you suggesting that ALL disabled people should get this payment?
    It would then be simple - all those in receipt of DLA or PIP would be entitled.
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options

There has to be a line drawn somewhere.  Someone will always be "just outside" the qualification criteria; it`s unpalatable, I know, but that`s the way it is.

• Jeffers1308
    Jeffers1308 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    racyguy said:

Spina Bifida

If I take your opinion further are you suggesting that ALL disabled people should get this payment?
    Yes all disabled should get it, after all we are vulnerable 
  • racyguy
    Options
    racyguy said:

Spina Bifida

Not all disabled people are vulnerable, sick or poor!

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,088 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    racyguy said:

Spina Bifida

which is exactly what will happen in the Autumn.

2024 Election won

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,088 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    racyguy said:
    racyguy said:

Spina Bifida

Not all disabled people are vulnerable, sick or poor!

In your opinion, let me re-write that for you "the majority of disabled people are vulnerable and poor and by definition sick"
    there we go.

2024 Election won

• racyguy
    Options
    woodbine said:
    racyguy said:
    which is exactly what will happen in the Autumn.
    Yes, but what this post is about is that it is suggested that those claiming DLA or PIP should get another £100 on top!
    I remember well the days in the late 80's when inflation was running at over 15% and the mortgage rate was approaching 17%.

There were no government handouts you had two choices - swim or sink.
    Repossessions were the norm. We are living in a nanny state expecting the government to make up the extra costs - reduce petrol/diesel reduce food prices etc,

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I remember those days too @racyguy, I lost my house at 15% and my two dogs had to be adopted by others and I never saw them again. I remember well Nigel Lawson The then chancellor being constantly asked by the press if he had anything to say to mortgage holders, eventually he said “yes, well they are all adults and knew what they were doing when they took out a mortgage.” Or words to that effect, harsh and unkind, suicides went up in that period. i knew what I was doing when I took out a five percent mortgage, not even sure that using the interest rates like that actually worked.

This situation is subtlety different, I think. 

incidentally, some analysts are predicting these rates to go on for up to two years more! I can’t see us having enough to bail people out for that long. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• racyguy
    Options

leeCal said:
    I remember those days too @racyguy, I lost my house at 15% and my two dogs had to be adopted by others and I never saw them again. I remember well Nigel Lawson The then chancellor being constantly asked by the press if he had anything to say to mortgage holders, eventually he said “yes, well they are all adults and knew what they were doing when they took out a mortgage.” Or words to that effect, harsh and unkind, suicides went up in that period. i knew what I was doing when I took out a five percent mortgage, not even sure that using the interest rates like that actually worked.

This situation is subtlety different, I think. 

incidentally, some analysts are predicting these rates to go on for up to two years more! I can’t see us having enough to bail people out for that long. 
    Yes it was bad. I had a £100,000 mortgage at the time which was costing us close to £1500 a month. We struggled every day for years just so that we could pay the bills. A holiday was simply blue sky thinking.
    Lawson did have a point though. It certainly wasn't the government's problem  it was ours.
    We had no help from anybody and it was a case of getting two jobs so as to balance the budget.

The very thought that people of this country now see it as a problem for the government to solve by giving wedges of money to all.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,982 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experience with us @racyguy. I can hear this is similar to what you have experienced before.

I can really sense how your previous experiences have shaped how you view the current societal issues. Have you got any other tips you would want to share with us?  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.