Can we get help with energy costs? Daughter has OCD, and showers every time she goes to the toilet — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can we get help with energy costs? Daughter has OCD, and showers every time she goes to the toilet

price_high
price_high Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2022 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hello everyone.
I need some advice please.
I have an adult daughter who suffers from OCD which means she has to shower for at least 40 minutes every time she goes to the toilet. Her OCD is not officially diagnosed because she lied when she saw the doctor. As she is as adult I am not allowed to accompany her at the consultation.
Now that energy prices are rocketing her regime is becoming even more stressful for us. One month's energy is costing almost £400.
Is there anything that can be done to make things easier? 
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Alex_Scope
    Alex_Scope Posts: 7,562 Scope online community team
    Hello @price_high and thanks for reaching out today, to help our members share their thoughts with you, I've moved your post over into our Autism and Neurodiversity category.

I can see why this would be a worry for you, with the cost of living crisis to consider, and I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling stressed. 
    As she is as adult I am not allowed to accompany her at the consultation.
    I'm not sure there's an age limit on having a friend or relative accompany you to an appointment, especially if you'd feel better having the support. Is this something the GP surgery has told you directly? 

You might like to have a look at Scope's Disability Energy Support service, as our advisers are there to help guide you on how best to save energy.

Can I ask what support your daughter is getting at the moment with her OCD? I know it might be difficult to access support without a diagnosis, so understanding where you're at right now would be really helpful. 

Is there a reason your daughter isn't keen to talk about things with her GP? I would say it's fairly common not to want to talk to medical professionals about things sometimes, so if we can help with anything, please do ask. 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • miss_saxby
    miss_saxby Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I am in a similar predicament. However this is my OCD and not someone else's.
    What I will say to @price_high is don't force the therapy thing or insist on going with her. My parents did this with me and it drove me completely in the opposite direction. I now won't go near a therapist/ doctors office for the anxiety it brings me. 
    Would be interested to know if you found any help regarding the bills? There seems to be nothing much online about it. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 52,169 Disability Gamechanger
    I am in a similar predicament. However this is my OCD and not someone else's.
    What I will say to @price_high is don't force the therapy thing or insist on going with her. My parents did this with me and it drove me completely in the opposite direction. I now won't go near a therapist/ doctors office for the anxiety it brings me. 
    Would be interested to know if you found any help regarding the bills? There seems to be nothing much online about it. 

There's no extra help been announced by the Government for energy bills this year. There's another cost of living payment of £300 coming this Autumn, if you're entitled to this. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cost-of-living-payment#low-income-benefits-and-tax-credits-cost-of-living-payment

Other than that i'm not aware of any other help.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.