If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Why photo ID for JSA and not UV

Options
Silver925
Silver925 Community member Posts: 106 Contributor
Hello,
I have a friend who wants to apply for New style JSA.  It says on the gov.uk website you need 3 forms of ID one of which is photo ID.  It doesn't give an alternative for people without photo ID if you cannot afford it. JC says they give biographical ID checks for UV so why not JSA.  I don't understand as I know people on IR JSA who have never had photo ID.  Could someone explain this please.  Do they do biographical ID checks for JSA and is it an omission on the website ?
Thanks

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,649 Championing
    Options
    Hello @Silver925 and thanks for making this post :) 

Good question, it all must seem quite confusing, the disparity between when you do and don't need photo ID.

Have you considered getting in contact with Jobcentre Plus to ask whether they would accept anything else in the event of somebody not being able to provide photo ID?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Silver925
    Options
    I don't understand why some benefits say this on the website.  When UC if you cannot verify your ID online which was much debated as many low income people don't they use Biographical ID questions.  I have been claiming ESA for years and never asked for ID.  I thought a benefits expert on this forum might know. Thanks for your reply. 
  • Silver925
    Options
    People can now open bank account without photo ID so this is very contradictory of what they say.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,289 Championing
    edited August 2022
    Options
    In the same way as those claiming UC there will be other ways to verifying your ID.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Silver925
    Options
    Hello,
    Thanks for your reply.  I thought the same, common sense really. Looked on other forums but no joy.  Many thanks again take care.
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Empowering
    Options
    Silver925 said:
    People can now open bank account without photo ID so this is very contradictory of what they say.
    Can you?
    I popped along to Local Metro bank to see about transferring our account.
    The guy handed me a sheet of paper which read that they would require three forms of proof, one of which must be a passport.
    Thankfully we have them but have never used them for travel just for ID purposes.
  • Silver925
    Options
    It depends on the bank.  If you apply online or in branch.  Some will check the electoral role like Santander and I opened one last year with Nationwide used Passport online.  Lady I spoke to in branch said if your a British citizen you don't need to show proof of address. I guess the check the electoral register.  I don't know about switching banks but I read some branch employees don't really know what's written on their website.  I been told things in the past which turned out wrong info.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.