Hi, my name is lovegrandchildren4! Just had my telephone pip assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is lovegrandchildren4! Just had my telephone pip assessment

Options
lovegrandchildren4
lovegrandchildren4 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited August 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello, first time posting!!
Had to say something, 
Just had telephone pip assessment, well talk about in a hurry!!
Only took 40 mins, quick fire questions like I was on a quiz show, " and your time starts now"
I wanted to talk more to explain but wasn't possible as kept firing the next question.
I know there busy but this was really quite bad.
I've never claimed pips before or any benefits, I've always worked until now. I can't lie when asked questions, perhaps I should like other people that claim, I know of 3.
 Looks like I will be appealing before I even know result.
How sad that I feel like this when I've done nothing wrong except play by the rules.

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @lovegrandchildren4 :) Thank you for joining!

I'm sorry to hear that you don't feel you had much time to explain your situation during your PIP assessment. You're definitely not the only one to feel this way, unfortunately. 
    You'll need to wait for your decision letter to come through first. This will outline what the decision is, and will include information about asking for a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) to challenge the decision, if necessary.

I hope that the decision goes your way. Please do keep us updated.

Are you happy with the evidence you provided in your forms?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The length of the assessment isn't a guide to what the report says. Wait until you get a decision later (which can take up to 12 weeks). Then, if necessary, deal with it one step at a time. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,691 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The time to tell them exactly how your conditions affect you was when filling out the form. The assessment process is for them to gather more evidence to support your claim. They would only need to ask the questions they needed to. If they had enough of evidence there would be no need to ask the questions.
    From the time the assessment took you can't speculate anything.
    I've known an assessment for myself take 10 minutes and was successfully awarded.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kayluc7
    kayluc7 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    I was very lucky with my telephone assessment, i had the loviest of young ladies who let me deal with all the questions in my own time, i was on for a full hour and she was so good when i had to stop when i got really upset. I dont know the outcome yet of my application as im still waiting for the final decision but i know i was given enough time to say what i had to say and if i dont get pip it wasnt the ladies fault x
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    kayluc7 said:
    I was very lucky with my telephone assessment, i had the loviest of young ladies who let me deal with all the questions in my own time, i was on for a full hour and she was so good when i had to stop when i got really upset. I dont know the outcome yet of my application as im still waiting for the final decision but i know i was given enough time to say what i had to say and if i dont get pip it wasnt the ladies fault x
    Thank you for sharing your experience, I'm glad the assessor was accommodating :) Good luck with the outcome!
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • lovegrandchildren4
    Options
    Hello all , just received letter from pips about my assessment, and guess what as I predicted straight after the telephone assessment, I scored no points what so ever for anything!! Am I surprised no not after that assessment.
    It beggars belief I was truthful didn't lie, sent loads of evidence and still nothing.
    Why is it that some get awards for lying? I know of one awarded high pips 2 weeks later back at work full time driving massive lorry tankers on 15 hour shifts, another full pips but cleaning schools for a living, another again full pips cleans  cooks, drives manual car, lives alone so manages everything himself, another again full pips drives to the seaside regular to stay in caravan, cleans cooks shops etc.

I really do not understand how this can be, I had to pack my job in, I've just had 8 weeks cbt therapy and I can't write properly due to tremor
    Among other things,
    Please can someone explain  is it the more you lie the more you get?
    Sorry to ramble on .

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Please try not to think about others and what they do or don't get, the truth is you never really know someone else's situation or whether they are lying. Even if they say they are, that could just be embarrassment and not telling you everything. Unless you live with someone 24/7 you can't know them well enough to judge if they would be entitled.
    Plus lots of people claim PIP and can work full time, PIP isn't about the ability to work. And you can claim while living alone, it's not about the care you receive, it's the care you need. 

I understand why you're frustrated and it's easy to lash out and it must feel very unfair right now and I'm so sorry. Lying definitely isn't the way forward though!

Can I ask what type of evidence you sent? Do you want some information about appealing decisions? <3
  • lovegrandchildren4
    Options
    Hi, I sent medical notes from 13 years to present with evidence of conditions, prescription note, other medical letters etc.
    Sorry to disagree but these people I know claiming do not have any carers or any help with anything.
    I know one of them got turned down 3 times until there partner filled form out and said" iam going to put everything down on that form", so determined to get pips at any cost.
    No lying isn't the way forward and iam sorry that I sound so angry but iam.

I packed up my job after 18 years, as could no.longer cope I've been out of work 4 months, cbt treatment for 8 weeks lots of tears and I ask for some recognition that yes I do have a problem and need some help and it's like, " there's nothing wrong with you".
    I give up it's not worth the stress.
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP is not about what conditions you have, many claim without a proper diagnosis. I’m sorry to hear you got 0 points though, the next step will be a Mandatory Reconsideration. I know you said you give up but it might be worth re-considering. Use the link provided to see where you could potentially score points.

• nasturtium
    nasturtium Community member Posts: 376 Pioneering
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Please can someone explain  is it the more you lie the more you get?
    I would seriously NOT consider telling unthurths or giving false information because that will have a very serious consequences attatched to doing that!

You can claim PIP and work.

First thing I would do is to read what the activities involved in PIP are and what the descriptors mean. Also you need to remember it is about how your complaint affects you for the majority of days (more than 50%) and you need to complete the activities accordint to the correct descriptor that applies to you reliably https://pipinfo.net/issues/reliably

Ok so lets look at an activity. You said::-

I can't write properly due to tremor Among other things
    I do not know what the other things are and I do not want to know but I will take your Tremor as an example. What you need to do is to look at the activity and how it is worded. For my example I am going to use Activity 2 "Taking Nutrition". For you to score Zero points for this activity you need to be able to do that activity Reliably. That means doing the activity (a) safely; (b) to an acceptable standard; (c) repeatedly; and (d) within a reasonable time period. If you cannot do the activity safely then you should score points. So for Activity 2 "Taking Nutrition" https://pipinfo.net/activities/taking-nutrition it considers a person’s ability to be nourished, either by cutting food into pieces, conveying it to the mouth. So you need to think about your Tremmor and think about how you eat your food and ask your self questions around the four "Relaibly" sections and apply then to the descriptors and the activity. So for example can you cut up your food safely? Do you use any special cutlery?

Do you spill your food on your clothes when you eat because of your tremmor?  If you do then you cannot complete that activity "to an acceptable standard" (Relaibly) so you should score 2 points for that activity. (Needs - (i) to use an aid or appliance to be able to take nutrition) Do you use clothing protectors to stop you from making your clothes dirty when you are eating? Do you use a cup with a lid to stop you spilling what is in the cup? Do you use a two handeled cup to make it easier for your to drink? All those are classed as an aid. You would need to describe in detail why you need to use clothing protectors and what would happen if you did not have clothing protectors.

That is just one example to show you how PIP works. It is advised that you also give detailed real world examples of when you had problems doing the PIP activities, what happened, was there anyone who witnessed what happened and what where the conserquences. For mor information on the PIP descriptors please check out this site https://pipinfo.net

You can use the advice above showing you how PIP works to complete your mandatory reconsideration. Think of it like re-applying again but this time adding more information and keeping to the activities and more important the descriptors.

Hope that helps
    Nasturtium

How to challenge a PIP award that has been reduced at Review https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/696285#Comment_696285
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,691 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Sorry to disagree but these people I know claiming do not have any carers or any help with anything.
    That's not what PIP is about. It's about the help you need not the help you get. I claim PIP and have done since 2013 but i don't have any help. This doens't mean i'm not entitled to it.
    You don't know exactly how anyones conditions affect them because no one knows what goes on behind closed doors. Working, going on holiday, driving doesn't mean a person isn't entitled to PIP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.