DLA to PIP age 16 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA to PIP age 16

Options
Ikonik
Ikonik Community member Posts: 60 Connected
Just posted my son's PIP form. They said they will use his last DLA form for extra information. Will I have to have a phone call? I am his appointee. He's been on high rate DLA for 7 years and it feels strange that we have to go through this process. The disability hasn't disappeared 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Ikonik said:
    He's been on high rate DLA for 7 years and it feels strange that we have to go through this process. The disability hasn't disappeared 
    DLA is a benefit for children. For adults claims are for PIP. The way in which PIP is assessed is different to DLA so there has to be a process to establish entitlement. The DLA should continue until after PIP is decided. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Ikonik
    Ikonik Community member Posts: 60 Connected
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Ikonik said:
    He's been on high rate DLA for 7 years and it feels strange that we have to go through this process. The disability hasn't disappeared 
    DLA is a benefit for children. For adults claims are for PIP. The way in which PIP is assessed is different to DLA so there has to be a process to establish entitlement. The DLA should continue until after PIP is decided. 
    Yes but it seems wrong. Scotland have got this right IMO by not transferring them to PIP until age 18
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I feel like Scotland does a lot of benefit things better than England now. I agree PIP should be age 18 too
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes but it seems wrong. Scotland have got this right IMO by not transferring them to PIP until age 18
    Scotland have brought a version of its own disability benefit out. DLA and PIP will slowly, over a couple of years, be phased out in that country. 
    From what I have seen, it looks very similar to DLA just their own version and I’m not sure if you even need an assessment to claim. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,266 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    bg844 said:

From what I have seen, it looks very similar to DLA just their own version and I’m not sure if you even need an assessment to claim. 
    It's similar to PIP and still has the point scoring system. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/scotland/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/adult-disability-payment-s/adult-disability-payment/adult-disability-payment-s/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The child version is like DLA so no assessment until 18, the adult one I believe their goal is fewer assessments but not sure how it'll pan out that way
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks Poppy, I wasn’t too sure. 

@Biblioklept I do believe DLA in the rest of the country should be until 18. I know you can claim certain benefits when you are 16 but that is only for the minority, think it’d be a huge help for young disabled people not to have that extra worry in an already challenging year for them (exams etc). 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Ikonik and welcome to the community, I hope you find it a friendly and welcoming place to spend time.

The move from DLA to PIP can feel quite unsettling, I switched aged 18, when PIP was still rolling out across the country, and shared the same sentiment, as it feels like a lot of unnecessary stress.  

As long as you can clearly evidence how your son's conditions impact him a majority of the time against the PIP descriptors, you should be awarded at the same level as you DLA, on an "ongoing" basis. 

If you'd like to read about preparing for the assessment, Scope has advice which you might find useful.

If you need a hand with anything please don't hesitate to ask :) 

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Angela1308a
    Angela1308a Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    On the subject of DLA-PIP I recently moved over after waiting for them to “get to me “ my health had deteriorated so much although, I had made phone calls and all I received was reassurance they were coming to me . I was forced to act …. I had originally low rate care in DLA and high rate mobility … I was awarded the standard rate care and enhanced rate mobility with PIP. I applied in March this year and will receive my first payment October , what I believe is so unfair is the difference between the two payment does not get back dated … claimants only get paid the new rate 28 days after they receive the award letter…
    has anyone else experienced this ? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    On the subject of DLA-PIP I recently moved over after waiting for them to “get to me “ my health had deteriorated so much although, I had made phone calls and all I received was reassurance they were coming to me . I was forced to act …. I had originally low rate care in DLA and high rate mobility … I was awarded the standard rate care and enhanced rate mobility with PIP. I applied in March this year and will receive my first payment October , what I believe is so unfair is the difference between the two payment does not get back dated … claimants only get paid the new rate 28 days after they receive the award letter…
    has anyone else experienced this ? 
    Yes, everyone that transfers from DLA to PIP is exactly the same, if their PIP award is higher. You can't receive both benefits at the same time. Imagine if your PIP award was lower, you wouldn't expect to have to pay the difference back to DWP would you.  First PIP payment is around 7 weeks after the decision was made.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Angela1308a
    Options
    @poppy123456 gosh I did not expect them to pay both merely to pay the difference between the 2 (which in my option should be backdated ). especially as it was a different rate as my condition had changed … if I were a new claimant it would be backdated to the date of application… I’m not whinging I just do not see it as fair …
    thank you for taking the time to answer 😊
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Whether it's fair or not, it's been the law since PIP was introduced in April 2013.
  • Angela1308a
    Options
    @poppy123456 , clearly based on your response you have much greater understanding and  knowledge of e system than I …. Whilst it’s been in place since 2013 and the law is not about to change for little OLD me , it can still be unfair ..once again I’m grateful for your input on my post. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.