GPs and Mental Health Issues — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

GPs and Mental Health Issues

Options
bluefox
bluefox Community member Posts: 636 Pioneering
Hello,

Has anyone else noticed that GPs are generally not as supportive with mental health issues as they are physical ones?

I’m finding a lot of the time they judge you on how you sound but because you’re passed from GP to GP you don’t build the kind of relationship you would have done in the past in pandemic times. 

I obtained my medical records and quite frankly I’m shocked at the lack of reporting in them. 

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My GP hasn’t got a clue about my mental health. As you say the GPS change anyway so I’m not sure who my doctor is from one moment to the next. They defer to the mental health teams anyway who are also, in my humble opinion, about as much help as the proverbial chocolate teapot.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• bluefox
    Options
    leeCal said:
    My GP hasn’t got a clue about my mental health. As you say the GPS change anyway so I’m not sure who my doctor is from one moment to the next. They defer to the mental health teams anyway who are also, in my humble opinion, about as much help as the proverbial chocolate teapot.
    Yeah, it’s so disappointing the MH services. I appreciate all the hard work they do but they don’t understand how those issues are affecting someone. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your experiences @bluefox, and @leeCal. It's clear that mental health services need to improve, I'm sure that in certain parts of the country they are better than others but I think across the board it is an area that needs to be better.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My experience has been pretty awful I must say. There seems to be a great deal of lethargy amongst workers who deal with an ever mounting list of service users who never seem to truly get better. There are also some people who I have met who exaggerate their conditions in order to receive benefits of various kinds, sorry to say it but I have met them. It’s very difficult for mental health workers who I’m sure start out with very good intentions, having said that there are some who enjoy their work despite having to deal with the public, some of whom lack empathy entirely.  Underfunding is another issue. 

These are my experiences and Im sorry if they are unpalatable but frankly I’ve not told the half of it, nor will I.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• bluefox
    Options
    I think the trouble with mental health is that it is such a sliding factor. I know my own personal troubles and how I’m affected.

I think my biggest regret this past year is not letting my friends and family talk on behalf of me with the mental health professionals. 

Sometimes you have to hear it from people closest to you for it to resonate with the professionals. 

That said, I wish more GP’s cared about mental health. But ultimately sometimes they say on the phone, what is it you want me to do for you?

I mean, that question is hard to answer 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,266 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It’s no different to those with physical conditions either. I’ve seen some terrible doctors in the past.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sarah36
    sarah36 Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Options
    I have always had the same problem with my GP, however, I recently moved into my new GP is wonderful I think sometimes you just need to find the right GP for you . I hope you find one soon. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's great to hear @sarah36 :) I do think it varies between GPs, and it sounds like you've found a good one. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • hass
    hass Community member Posts: 194 Courageous
    Options
    Hi all 
    I agree my Surgery  I've been with since 2006  present. 
    I had a fantastic  shrink  
    He even came to see me at the hospital.
    After being with the MH team since 2014.

A new shrink came he kept ringing  me making comments abouts my  religion   etc.

He didn't know what to do .
    Anyway they put me in the care of GP  but they keep giving g me meds and telling me to do training courses.  rather than 
    Dealing with issues.
    I've been referred  to primary care but they have no emphay 

I'm dead in my tracks. 

• hass
    hass Community member Posts: 194 Courageous
    Options
     I have no family to speak for me  my friends are not well.

Things are a mess no where getting  forward 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.