Carer - confused. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carer - confused.

Options
pippin2645
pippin2645 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hello, I hope I’m posting in the right place. I’m a carer for my dad. My partner works full time. I don’t claim carers allowance (although I’m entitled) because I do not want to take cash out of his wallet for me to receive less than half of what they’ll take from him. Nobody is going to benefit from that. However I am still caring for him. It’s what I do. 
My partner and i have 3 boys. We are entitled to UC top up. Will UC make me claim carers allowance? In order for them to leave me alone and not look for work outside of caring for my children and my dad? 

Or can I just simply state that I care for him and that will do? I could have a letter drawn up by all the workers involved with him…. He receives PIP both high rate..and esa support group. Etc. 
Thankyou. 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I assume the question is to protect a Severe Disability Premium in his ESA.

You don’t have to tell UC that you care for him. However you may then be treated as a jobseeker depending on your overall circumstances. If he is earning enough you may have no requirements.

If you do disclose that you care for him for 35 hours/week you would get the career element included in the UC calculation. There would be no need to claim Carer’s Allowance but getting the career element would also end any SDP.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,724 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    calcotti said:

If you do disclose that you care for him for 35 hours/week you would get the career element included in the UC calculation. There would be no need to claim Carer’s Allowance.

Although claiming carers element would also affect the SDP that the father is probably claiming.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pippin2645
    Options
    My partner doesn’t earn enough, we would need the UC top up. Unfortunately. 
    I really don’t want to take out of my fathers pocket. It all seems so unfair. I care for him because the system in place is no use, so I do it, because he’s my dad. 
    To be not seen as a job seeker, am I forced to claim either carers allowance or have the carers element put on our UC claim? 
    Can I not just tell UC that I am his carer and them just accept this so there is no longer any work related obligations for me to fulfil whilst doing everything else.
  • calcotti
    edited August 2022
    Options
    calcotti said:

If you do disclose that you care for him for 35 hours/week you would get the career element included in the UC calculation. There would be no need to claim Carer’s Allowance.

Although claiming carers element would also affect the SDP that the father is probably claiming.
    Thanks, poppy. Sorry - I should have made that clear. I’ve edited to add.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    edited August 2022
    Options
    To be not seen as a job seeker, am I forced to claim either carers allowance or have the carers element put on our UC claim? 
    Can I not just tell UC that I am his carer and them just accept this so there is no longer any work related obligations for me to fulfil whilst doing everything else.
    You can’t get treated as a carer with no other requirements unless you claim the carer element or Carers Allowance.
    My partner doesn’t earn enough, we would need the UC top up.
    My comment wasn’t about whether you need the top up, my question is whether your partner earns enough for you not have any requirements. 

How much does he receive each month? 

If he earns more than £567/month you would be in the light touch regime which means that you would be expected to do some preparation for work but would not be required to look for work or be available for work.
  • pippin2645
    Options
    Oh, I’m sorry. He brings home £1700 a month. 
  • calcotti
    Options
    Probably not enough to get you out of any conditionality but will definitely the mean the worst is being in ‘light touch regime’.

How old are your children?
  • pippin2645
    Options
    They’re 12, 5 and 3. I really have no clue what anything is, how any of this works. Before my middle child and my dad getting really poorly, I worked. So this is all new. We’ll get through it. It’s just really a poor situation to be in, he needs my help but I don’t need the DWP breathing down my neck all the time. Sad sorry state of affairs really. Thankyou.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,724 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If your middle child has a health condition do you claim DLA for them? If so and this includes mid/high rate care then you can claim carers element of UC for looking after them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    edited August 2022
    Options
    pippin2645 said:?.I don’t need the DWP breathing down my neck all the time. 
    Because you will not be in the light touch regime they will not be checking with you all the time. 
  • pippin2645
    Options
    If your middle child has a health condition do you claim DLA for them? If so and this includes mid/high rate care then you can claim carers element of UC for looking after them.
    No health problems, I just took a hiatus. Savings allowed me to. Thankyou though. 
  • pippin2645
    Options
    calcotti said:
    pippin2645 said:?.I don’t need the DWP breathing down my neck all the time. 
    Because you will not be in the light touch regime they will not be checking with you all the time. 
    Oh, okay. Wow. So light touch review means I don’t have to take out of my fathers pocket by claiming carers. I can continue the way I am without the DWP pressing at me?  
    I didn’t know this. Fantastic. I’ll make sure to tell them I know this now. Thankyou. 
  • calcotti
    Options
    You can see how you get in under the light touch regime in UC. If you later find it onerous, which I would not expect, you can always think considering about things again.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.