NEW RULES REGARDING SLEEP APNEA

Options
em444
em444 Community member Posts: 107 Connected
Hi Everyone 
I was diagnosed with Severe Sleep Apnea, In 2010. I have a cpap machine, but not able to use It, as I struggle with the mask. I suffer with excessive sleepiness, and not allowed to drive.
I've was told previously that Sleep Apnea doesn't qualify for PIP. But just been made aware, that rules have changed. 
Does anyone know of any news, regarding this ?
Thanks In advance 
EM444 

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,538 Championing
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Hi @em444 and thanks for sharing, I wasn't yet aware of this change I must say. 

Can I ask how you were made aware? :) 

Do you think you'd apply for PIP under these new rules?
  • em444
    Options
    My friend Is a support worker, and she advised me. She said that if you have Respiratory conditions, they are now considered for PIP.

I'm not entirely sure, what it comes under. That's all  I'm aware of.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,538 Championing
    Options
    Thanks for explaining for me @em444 that's really helpful :) 

I'll see if I can find out more about it next week, as I'm sure it would be really useful for a lot of our members to know.
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,107 Trailblazing
    Options
    em444 said:
    Hi Everyone 
    I was diagnosed with Severe Sleep Apnea, In 2010. I have a cpap machine, but not able to use It, as I struggle with the mask. I suffer with excessive sleepiness, and not allowed to drive.
    I've was told previously that Sleep Apnea doesn't qualify for PIP. But just been made aware, that rules have changed. 
    Does anyone know of any news, regarding this ?
    Thanks In advance 
    EM444 
    Hi @em444, I`m not qualified to give advice, so what I am about to type here has been seen on Scope and Benefits & Work:
    "PIP is awarded not for a diagnosis, but for how that diagnosis affects you.  You can actually PIP without a  diagnosis"
    I don`t have sleep apnea, but have had an atrocious sleep pattern all my life.  I know after a really bad night, I`m light-headed the day after which affects my thinking.  Being constantly tired affects my mood, for which you could argue that it affects your mental health.  I know the day after a really bad night, I can`t be bothered with anything.
    Andy

• em444
    Options
    Hi Andy 
    Thanks for your support 
    I can fall asleep, Instantly 
    I've even done this when I was walking back from the kitchen, holding my breakfast bowl. Its pretty serious stuff. It takes about 3 days, of sleep, to feel like I've had an actual night's sleep, of 7/8 hours.
    It does affect my Anxiety, and also blood pressure 

Em
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,107 Trailblazing
    Options
    Hi Em,
    As tired as I have been / can be, I`ve never been that bad; that must be a real pain and a concern over your safety. 
    You could use you falling asleep while walking as evidence in that you aren`t safe and need help to take nutrition.
    I take high blood pressure medication which I used as evidence for PIP.  I have a 7 day dosette box to store my medication, of which I took a photo and included it with the PIP2 (form you fill in for PIP).
    I also use my phone as a reminder to take my medication.
    Both are allowable as "aids".
    Bathing (shower or bath) could also be dangerous, evidence of which I provided for my application.  I`ve had grab bars fitted, and these are accepted as evidence.
    If you haven`t already, have a look at "Work & Benefits" website forum; the wealth of advice there, combined with the excellant advice here on Scope, will put you on a good path to let you understand if have a good chance of being awarded PIP. 
    As I said earlier, I`m not qualified to give advice, but one major theme for PIP (both here and B&W) is "most of the time".
    There are more elements, but I`ll let someone who is qualified explain those.

Andy
  • em444
    Options
    Many Thanks 😊 
    Really appreciated 
    I should of said,  I do get PIP, but the Lower Rate.
    My Sleep Apnea,  wasn't taken into consideration.
    Its for difficulty with social anxiety and depression. Also I have lower back pain and difficulty walking, because of degenerative progression.
    My Friend was suggesting that I might qualify for the higher rate, now that Sleep Apnea is on the new list. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,005 Championing
    edited August 2022
    Options
    em444 said: My Friend was suggesting that I might qualify for the higher rate, now that Sleep Apnea is on the new list. 
    There is no such thing as a list because PIP is assessed based on impact of a health condition not on any diagnosis.

Tiredness is relevant to assessing PIP if fatigue prevents you carrying out the descriptors to the required standard on the majority of days.

Driving, or lack of, is not an activity that is considered.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,304 Championing
    Options
    em444 said:
     But just been made aware, that rules have changed. 

There's been no recent changes to the PIP criteria.