Managing Tiredness/Fatigue - Child — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Managing Tiredness/Fatigue - Child

Options
scottpdn
scottpdn Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2022 in Cerebral palsy
My daughter (5 in Oct) has CP and struggles with tiredness, which can affect her mobility, concentration, behaviour etc. she sleeps well generally and eats well. We want to help her manage her energy better as she is about to start school and we want to give her the best experience possible.
Does anyone have any tips or useful websites to recommend?
Thanks,
Scott

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,698 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have the school looked at her timetable to see if there's a way to easer her in more gently and give her down time as needed? 
    Would they let her snack more often in school to keep energy up??
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome @scottpdn and thanks for posting your query :)

Your daughter might well be eligible for an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) when she starts school, you can read more about asking for a needs assessment on IPSEA's website.

An EHCP, provided by your local authority, can help with additional educational support for your daughter while she's in a school environment. Part of this might be helping with fatigue management, or scheduling in time for physio exercises (something which happened for me at primary school), or having a scribe to help write large amounts for example. 

An EHC plan can also give parents and young people more choice about which school or other setting the child or young person can attend.

I'm sure there's lots of other useful information out there, and I hope this helps for now. 

Please do say if I've missed anything, or if you have other questions.

Alex 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.