Pip tribunal win — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip tribunal win

Options
Bignig
Bignig Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi everyone. Just a little overview of my case and my advice is to keep pushing and believing if you feel you’re deserved of something. 

Whilst on holiday this week I had a text message saying my PIP tribunal result has been posted to me. Sounds a bit weird but couldn’t wait to get back to find out the result. 
Thankfully the result was in my favour to which I so happy about. 
I Started my claim July 21, initially only awarded 4 points for daily and 4 for mobility so with nothing to lose I requested the mandatory review. I had expected this to make a difference but it didn’t ( after plenty of reading case studies I realised these decisions rarely change). So went to the appeal stage and after about 4/5 weeks had the results, daily score had gone from 4 to 11 points and mobility gone from 4 to 10 points so been put onto standard rate for both. Reading a lot on here about time scales for payments and possibly request for SOR’s by DWP so I’m still very anxious until any monies have been received. 
Do I need to contact DWP or sit tight and wait?
What are the timescales?
Should I still be worried of DWP appeal?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,691 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HMCTS will have notified DWP of the decision and they would have received the same decision letter that you did.
    DWP have the same chance we do to challenge the decision but they can't do that without finding the error in law. To do this they must request the statement of reasons within 1 month of the decision. They sometimes request it but rarely appeal it.
    It can take around 8 weeks, sometimes longer to pay what they owe you and the same time to put your award into payment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Bignig
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. Hopefully there will be no issue 🤞🤞
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @bignig :) Fingers crossed it'll be smooth sailing from here! Congratulations on getting through the tribunal. How did you find it? 

Did you enjoy your holiday? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Bignig
    Options
    Great holiday thanks. I chose not to attend due to personal reasons. Looking at some of the other posts I’m glad I didn’t, sounds quite a stressful time experience. 
    Just want it all sorted and move on. 
  • nasturtium
    nasturtium Community member Posts: 376 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello Bignig

Just out of interest only did you request a paper based appeal?

Thanks
    How to challenge a PIP award that has been reduced at Review https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/696285#Comment_696285
  • Bignig
    Options
    Hi Nasturtium. 
    Yes I did request the paper appeal
  • nasturtium
    nasturtium Community member Posts: 376 Pioneering
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Bignig :)
    How to challenge a PIP award that has been reduced at Review https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/696285#Comment_696285
  • Bignig
    Options
    Had the call from DWP today notifying me of their receipt of the tribunal award (in my favour). I was asked a few security questions and also questions regarding whether I’d spent time in hospital, prison or care home. This was followed up by by confirming that the bank details were still as originally stated. 
    Been a long process, perseverance is definitely the key. 
  • tanbang
    tanbang Community member Posts: 61 Connected
    Options
    I have a paper base tribunal coming up, no date yet. I was worried about a paper base one as I see people put you get more chance of a face-to-face one 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    tanbang said:
    I have a paper base tribunal coming up, no date yet. I was worried about a paper base one as I see people put you get more chance of a face-to-face one 

Yes, paper based hearings are extremely low success rate. Only 5-8% win. If you can appear in person i'd advise you to do that because that's your best chance, with around 70% success rate.
    Also if HMCTS can't make a decision on paper alone, they may ask you to appear in person. Appearing in person means either face to face or telephone hearing. The success rate for both is the same.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Bignig
    Options
    Hiya,

just an update regarding my claim. I was awarded PIP after tribunal 15/7/22. I had the back payment awarded 1/8/22, still waiting however for a letter from DWP regarding forthcoming payments and dates. Is this standard practice or should I contact them? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    As you've received what was owed more than a month ago i would have expected your award to be in payment by now and for the decision letter to be received. You'll need to ring PIP tomorrow when they open and ask them.
  • Bignig
    Options
    Sorry, got the dates wrong 
    Tribunal award was 15/8/22
    Backpayments made 1/9/22,  think I’ll ring them anyway. 
    Appreciate your help. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    In that case it not unusual for the letter to take a couple of weeks to arrive. There’s also been postal strikes as well within that date. 
    Your first 4 weekly payment will be around 4 weeks after you receive the money that was owed. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.