If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would/do you spend money on a hobby?

Options
2»

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Spot on @66Mustang
    Nice to read someone else in a similar position to me! :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Just go for it @66Mustang treat yourself if you have saved up then you have made sacrifices elsewhere eg reduced drinking 

Don't ever feel guilty for treating yourself as long as all essential costs are covered 
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    edited August 2022
    Options
    My husband and I have a small monthly budget each for our hobbies.  All other money is joint for bills and savings etc.

My hobby is dolls' house miniatures.  Collectors' pieces, not the sort that children would play with.  I make a lot of my miniatures and do miniature stitching but some things I can't make and they can be expensive if made by a well known miniature crafts person.

I use my monthly budget and save up for the items I want and I think this way I appreciate them much better because I've had to save and be patient.

The picture shows my almost completed Victorian House.  It was just an mdf shell when my husband bought it for me 16 years ago.  I have slowly completed it, inside and out.  I did all the painting, brick work and roof tiles, electrics, indoor woodwork, decorating & curtains and made stained glass windows.  I bought the front door, the guttering & drainpipes and the railings.  The lace curtains are from some vintage French lace I had.

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's amazing @ShirleyW what a labour of love :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • bg844
    Options
    @ShirleyW when I went to Windsor Castle last month to look around the Queen has a dolls house very similar to yours. Hers has electricity and running water too! Both look great!
  • ShirleyW
    Options
    bg844 said:
    @ShirleyW when I went to Windsor Castle last month to look around the Queen has a dolls house very similar to yours. Hers has electricity and running water too! Both look great!
    Thank you.  Yes Queen Mary's dolls' house at Windsor is fabulous.  Much bigger than mine too.  I spent ages peering through the glass at it.

That's amazing @ShirleyW what a labour of love :)
    Thank you Alex.  It's a wonderful hobby to me, I become lost in my miniature world.
    This is the study - probably my favourite room in the house.  The black & white photos on top of the bookcases are my 2 sets of grandparents.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Wow @ShirleyW i love your dolls house! such a talent, truly amazing. My daughter thought the outside of the house was a real house, until i told her what it was.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ShirleyW
    Options
    Wow @ShirleyW i love your dolls house! such a talent, truly amazing. My daughter thought the outside of the house was a real house, until i told her what it was.
    Thank you so much Poppy.  That's what all miniaturists aspire too, to have their miniatures mistaken for full size items in a photograph.  
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,417 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @ShirleyW wow the house looks amazing, lots of time spent on that.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Amazing @ShirleyW my mum and dad used to do dolls houses so brought back memories for me 

They converted a bedroom 8nto a mini dolls house village 
  • ShirleyW
    edited August 2022
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    Amazing @ShirleyW my mum and dad used to do dolls houses so brought back memories for me 

They converted a bedroom 8nto a mini dolls house village 
    That sounds great Janer.

I don't think my hubby would be very impressed if I wanted to do that.  🤣
  • bg844
    Options
    I don't think my hubby would be very impressed if I wanted to do that.  🤣
    Nor would I if that was in my house too haha!
  • foxuk
    foxuk Community member Posts: 103 Pioneering
    Options
    Buy it! I recently did exactly the same - bought a computer to run the game I use to occupy my mind which was the only thing I use that will not play on linux.
    BUT I am a very lucky man with a wife who controls finances. After a few 'doggie wants a biccie' tricks I was told to buy a 'B***** good one or herself would get one for me and that would cost a fortune.
    I still get buyers remorse but Civilization V keeps my mind working AND it's a lot better than going down the pub to visit contemporaries who constantly moan about their usually ex-wives.
    As my totally 'frugal' mum a devout Methodist fan of the Protestant work ethic used to say - You have to have something and it's a LOT better than some of the alternatives.
  • ShirleyW
    Options
  • life
    life Community member Posts: 527 Pioneering
    Options
    I'd like to do painting artwork as a hobby. Learn how to make canvas paintings.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That sounds great @life. Do you have any particular favourite types of canvas paintings you would want to do as a hobby?  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • life
    life Community member Posts: 527 Pioneering
    Options
    rivers, buildings, cars, people all the timeless classics. I like van Gogh's paintings
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,890 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    wow, @ShirleyW, brilliant dolls house, very impressed
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.