Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Crocodile skin…?

Options
CoffeeFirst
CoffeeFirst Scope Member Posts: 203 Pioneering
What in life has helped you develop a tougher skin? Or, maybe you have you always been like this and let things run off your back.

Whilst I’m not soft, I do still have a vulnerable side. Which one are you?

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,499 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's a good question @CoffeeFirst :) I'm probably a mix of both. I don't have the thickest skin, but can let a lot of things run off my back. 

Though this might sound odd, I think spending time on the internet during my early teenage years contributed to my thick skin. I don't know if that's a good thing or not, but it did teach me quite a few life lessons I'd say!

National Campaigns Officer at Scope, she/her

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Being threatened over a period of ten years helped me to develop a tougher attitude generally. It also made me study Buddhism and I’ve gained through doing that. 

I was also in business some years before that and i experienced the rotten side of human nature first hand on many occasions. I even lost my house due to companies not paying their bills either at all or not on time. 

I also lost my brother in law and then my sister when I was quite young, All these things toughen you up.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 55,753 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm quite tough thankfully, I lost my parents when I was 21 and 26, so had to just get on with things. There was no running back home, or leaning on parents. 
    Saying that, I had good inlaws, shame about their son  :# I've done alot of things by myself,  I'm not complaining or anything. Just way it is.
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    I would say I`m quite thick skinned. 
    Over the almost 61 years I`ve been on this planet, I`ve experienced some incredibly unpleasant things.  Some of the "more pleasant" experiences are:
    Having a knife pulled on me when I was 12 in South Africa.
    Being bitten by a snake when I was 13 in South Arfica; thankfully it wasn`t a poisonous one but it still had quite a psychological effect.
    Being bitten several times by a baby baboon when I was 14 in Rhodesia (as it was then).  That b...dy thing didn`t like me.
    Going to Action Stations in the Falklands when I was 21, after just having written a letter to my then wife.  Fortunately that turned out to be a false alarm, but it still had an effect.
    Having a gun pulled on me in Italy when I was 24.
    I`ve had more personal experiences, all of which had a psychological effect on me but are not for sharing.
    Despite my experiences, those mentioned here and the those I`m not going to disclose, I`m still a "glass half full" person :)

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.