Do you have a good memory? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you have a good memory?

Options
CoffeeFirst
CoffeeFirst Scope Member Posts: 200 Pioneering
I’m only in my early fifties but my memory is a bit rubbish at times!

I’m desperately trying to remember certain words and sometimes just can’t. I’ve even had to rehearse a conversation in my head so I can familiarise myself with a couple of words.

Does this sort of thing run in families (my mum can be a bit like me)? So I’m blaming my genes instead! 

Comments

• MillieMay
    MillieMay Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    Options
    I’m on lots on medications and my conditions can all cause my memory issues.
    sorry you suffer as well CoffeeFirst.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My memory can be decent for some things, but pretty bad for many things @CoffeeFirst. And I'm only in my 20s! I don't know if it runs in families or not. That's an interesting question :) My guess would be that it'd be down to multiple factors. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,876 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    my memory is terrible, has been since i started getting ill, not sure if its the tablets or something to do with complex PTSD and anxiety, i feel your pain everyone, just another thing to add to the list of ailments
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My memory for some things like actors names and sometimes place names isn’t good. I also forget some words but I put that down to not participating in conversations very often. 

My mother always said how awful her memory was but I used to point out that her vocabulary was actually immense, many thousands of words correctly remembered, it was just the odd one or two forgotten ones which were outliers, unusual. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Options
    I have found that excruciating, constant pain has a definite deleterious effect on my memory. So does fatigue. Normally, my memory is not too bad. 
    The Paramedics I saw yesterday were amazed that I could remember my NHS number. But every time I book hospital transport, I have to tell them my NHS number in order for the booking to be accepted, so I've had to learn it by heart!

I also remember my debit card number, expiry date and security number. My son says that's a sign that I'm spending far too much using my card!

There's a supplement that helps my memory, called Choline and Inositol. Of course it doesn't mean that it would work for everyone else. I just have to remember to take it! 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,727 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    After several TIA's and CVA's (strokes) I have the memory of a goldfish,   now what was the question ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've always had a good memory but it does get worse with age and also now my brain isn't as active as it was when I was working and not being able to read or study or do puzzles etc due to vision 

• Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    I had a fractured skull and brain damage 20 years ago, as a result my memory isn`t what it should, or could, be.  The worst "residue" (for want of an expression) of the injury is that if someone cuts me off when I`m talking, I can have a "reset" in that I completely forget not only what I was going to say but what I was talking about.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A really insightful thread! Thanks everyone. 

Also, no, due to fibro fog I don't have a particularly good short-term memory. Though, my long-term memory is good   :D
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've never been able to remember actor names and things like that, some times i can forget what i'm saying half way through a sentence, but a lot of people suffer like that so i just put that down to the old ageing process, i am good at remembering past things though - i know it's not dementia ha ha x
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Ha ha, oh @SueHeath. Would you say that you also have good long-term memory then?  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • SueHeath
    Options
    Ha ha, oh @SueHeath. Would you say that you also have good long-term memory then?  :)
    ha ha yep! x
  • L_Volunteer
    Options
    Wahoo for long-term memory!  <3

• SueHeath
    Options
    ha ha what are you like @L_Volunteer ha ha x
  • L_Volunteer
    Options
    Fully fuelled by you and the other community members so not sure who is to blame @SueHeath:D

• ByTheSea
    ByTheSea Community member Posts: 39 Connected
    Options
    I have the strangest memory, I can remember lots of things, particularly involving numbers and remember my NI number all my life, at nearly 52, however I badly forget appointments and dates which gets me in trouble and I have bad name and face recognition.   
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,820 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I can't remember whether I posted on this thread so am going to post (again?).

I can remember things like random peoples names from 15 years ago that are no longer an acquaintance - e.g. the lawyer that dealt with a property sale over a decade ago.

But I forget short term things like if I leave a sandwich wrapper in the back of my car and tell myself to remember to throw it out when I get home so it doesn't smell, it will always be there the next day.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,647 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm terrible with appointment dates and times, I now put them on calendar. I failed a memory test at the drs about 5 years ago and they just said you failed. Off you go  :/ can remember yester years very well 
  • Phillfroggy
    Phillfroggy Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
    Options
    @CoffeeFirst  My short term memory is awful. When I had my first stroke aged 34 the clot on my brain scarred part of the brain that is responsible for memory and it damaged this. When I say short term it can be something 5 minutes ago to a week. Either my  sister or brother  will call me at 9am every morning to take my morning medication and put an x on my medication box  for that day morning also the same in the evening at 9pm. My kids are brilliant also they keep buying me little puzzle boxes and gadgets that can help with memory issues.
  • SueHeath
    Options
    Bless you @Phillfroggy my own sister had a big stroke a few years ago now, her body was left in tact but it has affected her brain, bless her she can phone me up 3-4 times a day to tell me the same thing. It must be awful for you but i am sooooo glad you have a good supportive family. x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.