Two cancelled telephone assessments - no capacity to audio-record it — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Two cancelled telephone assessments - no capacity to audio-record it

Options
CMB2
CMB2 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited August 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi all,

I received a phone call on Friday afternoon (19/8/22) to advise me that my work capability telephone assessment (WCA) scheduled today (22/8/22) had been cancelled and will be rescheduled.  This is the second time my assessment has been cancelled this month - I was advised each time that there was no capacity to audio-record the assessment on my scheduled appointment date. 

I was wondering if the rescheduling of telephone appointments more than one time is common when the reason given is the claimant's request to record the assessment. Is it unusual to record telephone assessments? Has anyone here had a telephone assessment recorded or know someone who has?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,698 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Before a recording can take place the assessor that’s doing the assessment must agree to be recorded. Some will not agree and if this happens they will cancel the assessment if they can’t find someone that’s available for that recorded assessment. 
    Are you aware that you can’t actually use the recording at MR or Tribunal stage unless it’s professionally transcribed? 
    In my opinion it’s much better to concentrate on preparing for the assessment than it is to have it recorded. 
    I’ve had a few work capability assessments in the past and have never recorded either of them. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • CMB2
    Options
    Before a recording can take place the assessor that’s doing the assessment must agree to be recorded. Some will not agree and if this happens they will cancel the assessment if they can’t find someone that’s available for that recorded assessment. 
    Are you aware that you can’t actually use the recording at MR or Tribunal stage unless it’s professionally transcribed? 
    In my opinion it’s much better to concentrate on preparing for the assessment than it is to have it recorded. 
    I’ve had a few work capability assessments in the past and have never recorded either of them. 
    Thanks very much for your input.

I would like the assessment to be recorded because I have read from numerous online accounts that it is common for assessors to lie about what the claimant said/ didn't say. I also feel that the kind of assessor who objects to the call being recorded is more likely to omit important information on their report/ be untruthful about what was said. Finally, I always like to have some kind paper trail and/ or audio recording for any important message/ meeting, especially when dealing with the DWP. 

I am aware that I would need the audio recording to be transcribed and am prepared to get this done if needed for a MR or Tribunal. Thanks again for the information.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,698 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    One of the worst things you can do before any such assessment is to go online reading all the negative stories. Usually those that have had a decision they are happy with have no questions to ask, so we don't hear their story. For this reason yes, you will mostly only read the bad stories.
    Lots of people are found to have LCWRA without any issues at all.
    It's also worth remembering that during the assessment it's not their job to write down what you siad verbatim, if this was the case then there would be no point in having the assessments. The assessment is for them to gather more evidence to support your claim. Once the assessment is complete they write the report, which is based on thier opinion of everything you sent and what you said during the assessment.
    If the worst happens and you are found fit for work and it does get to Tribunal stage then concentrating on the assessment report and the recording isn't going to get you found to have LCWRA. It's always better to concentrate on your evidence and the reasons why you think you should qualify for LCWRA.
    The paper trail you speak of comes from the assessment report and all the evidence you sent.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • CMB2
    Options
    If the worst happens and you are found fit for work and it does get to Tribunal stage then concentrating on the assessment report and the recording isn't going to get you found to have LCWRA. It's always better to concentrate on your evidence and the reasons why you think you should qualify for LCWRA.

If the worst happens, I will be sure to focus on the evidence and reasons I think I qualify for LCWRA - thanks for this advice. However, I prefer to have the recording as well - it can't hurt to have it. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @CMB2. It is the very least you deserve. If we can do anything else to support you, please don't hesitate to let us know. We are all here for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.