Can I get help from pip with help with finding private housing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I get help from pip with help with finding private housing

Options
Gaz2000
Gaz2000 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
I am really close to being homeless,  because of being on benefits i am finding it hard to find someone that will take me on. 

Can pip help in helping me finding a landlord that deals with people on benefits and disable. Because as soon as I mention benefits they want month's upfront,  which i just can't afford. 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Hi @Gaz2000

Sorry to hear that you are almost homeless. DO you have any friends or family members who you could stay with in an emergency?

In terms of PIP, no I don't believe they would be able to support with that unfortunately. Finding a suitable landlord or housing association can be a challenge, as you say some of them can be quite reluctant or difficult when they come across somebody whose primary income is benefits. I think more certainly needs to be done to support people in a similar situation to yourself to find suitable housing, I imagine you feel quite frustrated and stressed by it all.

Have you considered contacting your local authority to enquire about council housing?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,724 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As Ross has correctly advised, PIP will not help with this situation, i'm afraid. It's a nightmare across most of the country trying to find landlords that will accept those claiming benefits and as the years go on the issue just gets worse.
    For help with rent up front you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) from your local Authority. See link. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,731 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Gaz2000
    Options
    Hi @Gaz2000

Sorry to hear that you are almost homeless. DO you have any friends or family members who you could stay with in an emergency?

In terms of PIP, no I don't believe they would be able to support with that unfortunately. Finding a suitable landlord or housing association can be a challenge, as you say some of them can be quite reluctant or difficult when they come across somebody whose primary income is benefits. I think more certainly needs to be done to support people in a similar situation to yourself to find suitable housing, I imagine you feel quite frustrated and stressed by it all.

Have you considered contacting your local authority to enquire about council housing?
    Thank you Rosie,  that is what i am doing at the staying at my sisters. I am going through my local council,  but the hoops they make you go through is a nightmare. They want every id you could think of,  i said i got a licence, yes thats ok but they want original birth certificate that i do not have and trying to get one online is so hard. Im not good with pc at the best of times and im not a good reader and they want me to upload my medical records,  i can just about walk to the bedroom door let alone get to the council offices lol 😂. When your parents say dont wish your life away because its short as it is,  is so true. It seems like i was 21 afew months ago
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm glad that you've got somewhere safe to stay for the time being @Gaz2000 :) 

Could your sister help you with getting your documents together?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Options
    Good morning @Gaz2000

I'm really sorry that you're having such a tough time at the moment. Try and get some help in putting all the paperwork together as it is necessary for you to show that you have a priority need and due to your disabilities that you qualify for emegency housing. Shelter has some information about help from the council for people facing eviction 

Have you told UC that you have been awarded PIP? It may be that the wrong rate of the Local Housing Allowance (LHA)  has been applied and this should be checked. If you rent privately the LHA is used to work out the UC housing costs element (and also for housing benefit).  It affects how much help you get with your rent.  The government has frozen the LHA rates despite rising rents and living costs. The amount of LHA varies on your age, who you live with, rent levels in your area and also other circumstances  such as whether you have beenin care and/ or whether you have a disability. 

Most single renters under 35 only get the shared accommodatio rate of the LHA. I'm assuming from your last comment that you are under 35 but in some circumstances single people under 35 can get the one bedroom self contained LHA rate.  For UC you will get the 1 bedroom self contained rate if you are getting PIP daily living component. This might help if the landlord is trying to evict you for rent arrears (as would a discretionary housing payment which poppy has mentioned)  but won't help if the landlord is evicting you so he can get a higher rent.

It is unlawful for letting agents not to offer properties to people on benefits and Shelter offers some information on how to challenge discrimination  but I appreciate that this is easier said than done. 

Do have a look around our forum and you will see that we are a friendly and supportive community. Do keep in touch and let us know how you get on. Wishing you lots of luck !

Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Gaz2000
    Options

Could your sister help you with getting your dTori_Scope said:

Could your sister help you with getting your documents together?

Thank you for your reply,  my sister is in her late seventies and lives 40 odd miles away and with my health i cant get out. If it wasnt for siri i would be stuck because i cant spell. 
  • Gaz2000
    Options
    Sue_Scope said:
    Good morning @Gaz2000

I'm really sorry that you're having such a tough time at the moment. Try and get some help in putting all the paperwork together as it is necessary for you to show that you have a priority need and due to your disabilities that you qualify for emegency housing. Shelter has some information about help from the council for people facing eviction 

Have you told UC that you have been awarded PIP? It may be that the wrong rate of the Local Housing Allowance (LHA)  has been applied and this should be checked. If you rent privately the LHA is used to work out the UC housing costs element (and also for housing benefit).  It affects how much help you get with your rent.  The government has frozen the LHA rates despite rising rents and living costs. The amount of LHA varies on your age, who you live with, rent levels in your area and also other circumstances  such as whether you have beenin care and/ or whether you have a disability. 

Most single renters under 35 only get the shared accommodatio rate of the LHA. I'm assuming from your last comment that you are under 35 but in some circumstances single people under 35 can get the one bedroom self contained LHA rate.  For UC you will get the 1 bedroom self contained rate if you are getting PIP daily living component. This might help if the landlord is trying to evict you for rent arrears (as would a discretionary housing payment which poppy has mentioned)  but won't help if the landlord is evicting you so he can get a higher rent.

It is unlawful for letting agents not to offer properties to people on benefits and Shelter offers some information on how to challenge discrimination  but I appreciate that this is easier said than done. 

Do have a look around our forum and you will see that we are a friendly and supportive community. Do keep in touch and let us know how you get on. Wishing you lots of luck !

Thank you Sue,  you have made my day a lot better after you saying that i am under 35 😁 

I am 48 with a lot of health issues so i cant get out. Which makes it even harder. Everyone on here have been a great help to me,  i did use to just sit here and watch everyone talking until i got the courage to write something,  since then everyone have been great help and i really do appreciate it,  it just shows that there is still good people out there. 

• Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Options
    @Gaz2000 I'm glad that made you smile ! Seriously though do keep in touch and let us know if we can help any further ! 
    Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Gaz2000
    Options
    Sue_Scope said:
    Good morning @Gaz2000

Thank you Sue,  you have made my day a lot better after you saying that i am under 35 😁 

I am 48 with a lot of health issues so i cant get out. Which makes it even harder. Everyone on here have been a great help to me,  i did use to just sit here and watch everyone talking until i got the courage to write something,  since then everyone have been great help and i really do appreciate it,  it just shows that there is still good people out there. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.