Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

GP wants letter from employer confirming absence?

Options
Becky88
Becky88 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
I’ve been off work long term since May 2022 and have been getting regular sick notes. Never had an issue until I picked up my latest sick note on Tuesday and there was a message saying I needed to book an appointment to discuss it. Figured it was just to see how I was getting on. 

However, the GP actually wanted to request my employer writes to him detailing my absences but he didn’t explain why and was quick to rush me off the phone before I could ask. 

I’ve had long term absences before and no GP has ever requested info from my employer. 

I did call reception for clarity but they were very confused and said they’ve never known a GP to ask for this, and he’s left no notes explaining it. 

If it’s relevant, I’m autistic with severe anxiety.  Both of these are listed in my medical notes from at least 2006 and I’m on medication and regularly speak to the GP regarding the mental health side. I have been off work with stress causing my mental health to spiral due to lack of accommodation for my disabilities, along with having faced direct discrimination from my manager on several occasions. I’m anxious about asking them for this info due to this and I feel like it’s going to raise questions. 

Can any one shed any light on why my GP is requesting this? Can I refuse to provide it? If so, can he then refuse to issue a sick note? 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've never heard of this before 

I have heard of gp requesting employment information regarding the tasks and job role from a company.  This is so the gp can make a better judgement on your fitness for work based on the job you are expected to do 

So this maybe the reason but normally the gp will request this in writing 
  • Becky88
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    I've never heard of this before 

I have heard of gp requesting employment information regarding the tasks and job role from a company.  This is so the gp can make a better judgement on your fitness for work based on the job you are expected to do 

So this maybe the reason but normally the gp will request this in writing 
    Yes, the only time I’ve heard of this is when the patient specifically asks the GP to provide a medical opinion about your fitness to work and any adjustments you may need, but this is always after a direct request from the patient. 

I’ve never known a GP to seek this information without express request from the patient so that’s why I’m concerned. 

Potentially it is what you said, but I’d have expected him to speak to me about this first to ensure he has my permission. 

I’m going to refuse until he explains but I’m concerned he’ll refuse to issue a sick note if I don’t provide the info. 

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I doubt your gp will know who your employer is unless you have given them details 

I don't know if he can refuse to issue fit notes on this basis 
  • Becky88
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    I doubt your gp will know who your employer is unless you have given them details 

I don't know if he can refuse to issue fit notes on this basis 
    He asked and being confused I gave him the info without thinking. 

I applied for UC recently so I’m wondering if the DWP have written to him asking how my conditions affect my ability to work and hence he wants them to provide the info since they’ll know best? 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Becky88 How have things been for you more recently? I appreciate it has been a little while since you last posted on this thread now.

I want to make sure you have access to the support you need and deserve but things might have changed since. Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything to help  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.