College and GCSE results — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

College and GCSE results

Options
Ikonik
Ikonik Community member Posts: 60 Connected
Our son got very low GCSE grades. He has just been to enrol at college. He rang me and he was angry and swearing. He has to do the level 1 course and he was expecting to do level 2.  His behaviour since school broke up at the end of June has been nothing but trouble. He barely eats a meal at home, won't go to sleep until the early hours and his attitude is terrible. 
We have serious concerns for his ability to gain employment due to his poor attitude.
I can't go out when he's at home, as he would ring and get friends here who I don't trust. He was always close to his Nan but since school finished he has no interest in visiting. He is constantly trying to get a girlfriend and being rejected as he is disrespectful. We don't give him any money, only a debit card that he use in any shops but not a cash machine. He is constantly telling lies( tells people he is a boxer). He used to do sport a few times a week and that's all stopped.
I'm not very concerned he's going to refuse to go to college. He has to re-do maths and English and he says he won't do it

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That sounds like a really difficult situation @Ikonik. I'm sure you're not the only parent who's experienced these sorts of concerns!

Do you mind me asking whether your son has any diagnoses? I think I recall you referring to this previously. 

Is he receiving any external support to help him manage his behaviour?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Ikonik
    Ikonik Community member Posts: 60 Connected
    Options
    ADHD, attachment disorder and autism traits. He is currently awaiting a full autism assessment 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I see, thanks for sharing that @Ikonik. Is he receiving any support to help him manage his ADHD and attachment disorder, while he waits for his autism assessment? 

I'm wondering whether the college he's enrolled at has a support officer or learning mentor who could help to keep him engaged in his college course, and support him with any learning needs he has. Is this something you or he have spoken to them about? 

Will he be re-doing his Maths and English GCSEs through the college, or his school?

I've found the following resources online, which I thought you might want to take a browse through:
    Furthermore, I'm wondering whether he might like to engage in our Career Pathways service, especially designed for young people. This may help to give him some focus in terms of how he'd like his future to look.

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Jo_2022
    Jo_2022 Community Volunteer Host Posts: 298 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Ikonik! 😊 Yes I can understand this is not an easy transition for your son or you as his parent. 

Ah I am so so sorry that your son is feeling demoralised regarding his GCSE Results and future prospects for studying. 

Perhaps when he has calmed down he will realise that having some GCSEs is essential, and even though things did not go as planned, he still has the opportunity to build up from a Level 1 course, and then progress to a Level 2 course. 

I think every child has different abilities and the main thing is that the child tries their best, and reaches their potential. 

Does your son ask for help at school and college? Is he receiving any help for his needs?

My younger brother has Autism and he received a B Grade in his GCSE exams this year! He had to retake his GCSE English and Maths at college. Everyone has their own pace of learning 😊

Community Volunteer Host with a passion for human rights.

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.