If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Sunnie! I need help with my energy bills

Options
Sunnie
Sunnie Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello team, I need help with my energy bills, that’s dangerously high that I didn’t asked for! I don’t have enough room in my daily living costs to pay for it! Grave concerned with rising in October and next January it’s affecting my health and my disability and being Deaf as I communicate by email thank you 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,121 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, millions of others are in the same boat. You can contact scopes disability energy support. Details here.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there @Sunnie and welcome to the online community, thank you for reaching out this morning. I'm sorry to hear that the rising cost of living is having a negative impact on your health. Seeing the cost of things shoot up so much, it's very understandable that you're worried.

Many of our members share those worries too, so I hope this community can act as a source of advice and support for you :) 

Scope offers a Disability Energy Support Service, and you can receive advice by email or through a telephone appointment. 

During your application you will be asked about the type of support you need. Here you can choose how you would like to receive your advice. 

You can also find further support and advice online here:

Let us know how you get on, and if you need help with anything further, just ask.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Sunnie
    Options
    Hello Alex thank you for your message it meant a lot to me indeed. I’m looking for charity/ trust to help me to pay off a debt that I never had in my whole lifetime ! Deeply grave concerns for my well being with disability added! I have sent quite a lot of emails to seek help am now awaits their reply to go from there Sunnie xx
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,503 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @sunnie :) 

Is your debt with an energy company, or someone else?

I'm glad to hear that you've sent some emails off. I hope that the people you've emailed are able to help. 

As the others have said, you're certainly not the only one to be feeling this way. We're looking to gather evidence to support the work we're doing around the cost of living crisis. To tell us about how you've been affected, please complete our Microsoft Form.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • Sunnie
    Options
    🔺Hello Tori 

it’s about my energy company. I have a fixed energy tariff until 30th April 2023. It has stated that it shouldn’t be affected but it has indeed big time. 

🔺I sincerely hope that they will help me once they have replied by email. Wait and see.

🔺Microsoft form from where? 

🔺It’s new thing for me here ……. Give me a chance to learn or understand any information received……..

🔺 it has affected me in an enormously way…..for one I have never been in that kind of debt in my whole life time with that kind of figures, I pay regular bills but suddenly whoosh dangerously high energy bill even am on a fixed energy tariff ….. it shouldn’t have been affected until my contact tariff comes to an end next year 30th April 2023 but it actually has indeed since March! so it’s first time for me. I have several complex health conditions apart from being a Deaf. Affected my sense of well-being and such barriers with hearimg people without thinking assuming I can use the telephone but I cannot use the telephone hence Emails correspondence or texting method. It’s a sheer frustration to the core. You have to be Deaf from birth to empathise this with me. 

• Sunnie
    Options
    found and clicked on your Microsoft form 👍
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,503 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    it’s about my energy company. I have a fixed energy tariff until 30th April 2023. It has stated that it shouldn’t be affected but it has indeed big time. 
    Have they increased your direct debit @sunnie?
    It’s new thing for me here ……. Give me a chance to learn or understand any information received……..
    Of course, it's no problem. Please do take your time, and let us know if you need any support in using the site or understanding any information. I'm glad that you managed to find the Microsoft Form :)
    I have several complex health conditions apart from being a Deaf. Affected my sense of well-being
    Yes, debt and rising energy costs can certainly both impact on our wellbeing. If you take a look through some of our more recent discussions, you'll be able to see that many people are feeling a similar way.

If you need any support with managing your debt, you could try getting in touch with StepChange.

Have you spoken to your GP about how you've been feeling?
    I cannot use the telephone hence Emails correspondence or texting method
    Are you able to use the Relay UK service? Is that what you mean by the 'texting method'? Is this something your energy company offers? I know that some energy companies now also have live chat services, which can result in a quicker reply than if you were to email them.

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • hass
    hass Community member Posts: 194 Courageous
    Options
    Hi  all.
    My flat is deemed cold hazard
    My HA ARE AWARE OF THIS but haven't remedy this situation. 
    My celling are 14  feet high with huge sash windows.
    The whole house is having double glazing  put in .
     This should have been done in June  this Year but it hasn't  no suprise there.
    The scaffolding  has been erected im concerned  as there is no alarm  attached .
    As I'm on the ground floor I feel more vulnerable. 
    I also have cold air coming through the kitchen and  at the back of the flat.
    I have copd  and MS amongst other things 
    I don't know what I'm going to do .

• Alex_Alumni
    Options
    Hello @hass I'm so sorry to hear about the issues you're having with your flat, and that you're feeling vulnerable.

You've said your Housing Association is aware of this, but is this something you could raise again with your local authority, and your GP, as it's impacting on your wellbeing. Have you spoken to loved ones, or neighbours about your situation?

I'd encourage you to contact Citizens Advice and Shelter about your concerns, as they may be able to help support you further as well. 

How are you finding managing your conditions at the moment, do you have enough support?

If you feel we can offer any additional support, please let us know.

Alex
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• hass
    hass Community member Posts: 194 Courageous
    Options

Hi  I with respect I  people would stop going on about citizen advise 
    And shelter.

I have worked for both organisations  .
    In my time with the  BUREAU we were inandated  with clients  with housing related problems  we could not do much 
    It was horrendous 
    Shelter  was some what the same if your a bad tennant  
    And a Tennant  of  anti social  
    Behaviour  you get away with everything. 
     This society has no humanity  anymore.

• Alex_Alumni
    Options
    Thank you for explaining @hass that's helpful to know, and I'm sorry to hear that you feel they won't be able to help much in this case. 

If you do have ongoing concerns for your health and wellbeing, raise these urgently with your GP and your local authority. Do you have any family, friends, or neighbours who may be able to help advocate for you?
    Scope

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.