If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Living by my daughter. Will we be able to claim cost of living help towards our fuel consumption?

Options
Gillianruss
Gillianruss Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My daughter is having a large garage renovated into an annex for me and my husband. Bedroom, lounge, with a small area fir making drinks etc and wet room. My husband has heart failure, so she wishes to be nearer to us. We will not live with her, but by her. We will have our own front and back doors, but will probably eat main meals together etc. We are in rented accommodation at present, so no capital, but will we be able to claim cost if living help towards our fuel consumption. We will be paying my daughter fir heating and lighting, and our own food, and a small amount towards the running andbup keepi of what I like to call 'my aoartment) . I really don't wish her to have to pay for heat and light fir me and my husband...she is not charging me anything for the renovation she is doing, so it's not fair not to pay my way. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,264 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2022
    Options
     but will we be able to claim cost if living help towards our fuel consumption. We will be paying my daughter fir heating and lighting,

No because you need to be named on the energy account to be entitled to this because it's paid straight onto the account and not into your own bank. Your daughter will be entitled to £400 which will paid over 6 months from October at around £66/month.
    If either yourself or your husband will be state pension age or over between 19th - 25th September 2022 then you'll be entitled to the winter fuel payment. https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/how-much-youll-get
    There will also be extra money on top of the usual amount this year.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    My daughter is having a large garage renovated into an annex for me and my husband. Bedroom, lounge, with a small area fir making drinks etc and wet room. My husband has heart failure, so she wishes to be nearer to us. We will not live with her, but by her. We will have our own front and back doors, but will probably eat main meals together etc. We are in rented accommodation at present, so no capital, but will we be able to claim cost if living help towards our fuel consumption. We will be paying my daughter fir heating and lighting, and our own food, and a small amount towards the running andbup keepi of what I like to call 'my aoartment) . I really don't wish her to have to pay for heat and light fir me and my husband...she is not charging me anything for the renovation she is doing, so it's not fair not to pay my way. 
    The only real way is to have the 'granny flat' recognised by a different street number, have your own gas, water, sewerage and electricity meters and be responsible for your own Council Tax.
    In addition all of the work would have to be overseen by the Council's Building Control Officer and for you to have planning permission.

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.