If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Request for UC phone appointments being made needlessly stressful

Options
CMB2
CMB2 Community member Posts: 5 Listener

Hi all,

I am a universal credit claimant suffering from severe anxiety with agoraphobia. I am currently awaiting my work capability assessment.

A few months ago, DWP management confirmed with me by email that my future appointments will be conducted over the phone. Unfortunately, my next appointment has been scheduled as a face-to-face appointment; I have tried several times via my journal to ask for it to be changed to a phone appointment.

The response that I am getting on my journal is “don’t worry, your work coach will call you,” however, my request to get the appointment properly changed on the system is being ignored.

I am not understanding why they won’t officially change the appointment details so that it is clear that I am having a phone appointment (not a face to face appointment) and there are no mishaps/misunderstandings on the day of the appointment. In other words, on my To Do list, the appointment instructions remain the same, stating that I am required to attend the interview at the specified jobcentre address.

Because my appointments have been frequently changed in the past with the press of a button, the apparent refusal to properly change the appointment is creating so much additional stress for me a) because it just seems so odd and b) I fear being sanctioned if the appointment isn't properly changed and I don't turn up for the appointment in person.

I am wondering what people’s thoughts are on this. I have set out below what I was expecting when an appointment is amended.

When a change is made to my DWP appointment, I typically receive a number of notifications/updates on my universal credit account.

1) I receive an email  message in the following format:

Subject: Your Universal Credit appointment has changed
To:  my email address

Dear ______________
Your phone appointment at 10:30am on Monday 11 July 2022 has changed. Your appointment is now at 12:00pm on Friday 15 July 2022.
Sign in to your account for details.
From,
Universal Credit

2) My journal is updated as shown below:

Work Focused Interview

Monday 11 July 2022 at 10:30am by phone

Rebooked:

Work Focused Interview

Friday 15 July 2022 at 12:00pm by phone

3) The appointment details on the To Do List change to reflect the amended appointment.

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,561 Championing
    Options
    I think what you have suggested is really clearly thought out @CMB2 and would probably reassure a lot of people feeling the same way :)

I'm sorry that the job centre aren't communicating things as clearly as might be possible, it's frustrating when we still have that little niggle or worry about things. Is this something you'd be able to talk to a work coach about?

How is your mental health generally at the moment? Do you feel like your getting enough support day to  day?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.