Fit note — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fit note

Options
Cassie3
Cassie3 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited August 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello my name is Linda. I have peripheral neuropathy in both feet, diabetic myopathy, etc. I've had to claim for uc I gave them my fit note from my doctor which he signed me off independently, but uc want a end date on the fit note. I went back to my doctor and told him, but he said he wrote independently on it for a reason and he won't put a end date on it, what do I do as I've got to go back to universal credit next week. Thank you 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Cassie3

Welcome to the online community, it's lovely to see you join us. Thank you for making your first post and telling us about your situation.

This sounds quite inconvenient for you, I imagine you are frustrated by what is happening. Did you explain to your doctor that UC said they needed an end date on it?

Just to check, do you mean to say that your doctor signed you off indefinitely rather than independently?

It might be worth explaining to UC what your doctor has told you to see if they can make an allowance or whether they would absolutely insist on the end date.

Aside from this inconvenience, how have you found the UC process so far?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,637 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    They probably need an end date to put into the computer system.  Though it's perfectly reasonable to issue a fit note indefinitely, so I'd be a bit surprised if the computer couldn't handle that.

Can I check whether it actually says 'indefinite' or whether it was just left blank?  If it was left blank, that could be causing a problem.
  • Cassie3
    Options
    Thankyou for your replys im finding universal credit very stressful,my husband who is also my full time carer as to come with me,the most stressfull thing is that they can see im disabled and i suffer with anxiety,as i said my doctor wont give me a end date on my fit note so i dont know what to do.  
  • Cassie3
    Options
    Yes it's indefinitely on the fit note, and thank you for replying 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There was a thread some time ago about UC not accepting an indefinite fit note. You could ask your GP to put an end date for a years time and this should be enough of time before a decision is made on your work capability assessment. Once it's made no further fit notes will be needed anyway, this will apply regardless of what the decision will be.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cassie3
    Options
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @Cassie3. It is the very least you deserve. If we can do anything else to help, please don't hesitate to let us know. We are all here for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Guidance for people completing a Fit Note
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/fit-note-guidance-for-healthcare-professionals/getting-the-most-out-of-the-fit-note-guidance-for-healthcare-professionals#filling-in-the-fit-note
    In the first 6 months of a patient’s condition, a fit note can cover a maximum of 3 months. If a condition has lasted longer than 6 months, a fit note can be for any clinically appropriate period up to ‘an indefinite period’.
    If your health condition has been long term your GP is entitled to complete the Fit Note as indefinite.

UC guidance

Healthcare professionals will issue medical evidence to a claimant (for a clinically appropriate period for the health condition) in accordance with their own professional standards.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cassie3
    Options
    Thank you very much for your reply and links, I've got to go to uc this morning without a end date on my fit note, so not sure what will happen, but I will show them the message you kindly sent me. X
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    How did it go this morning @cassie3?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Cassie3
    Options
    Hi everyone thank you again for your help. I went this morning and I saw a different person and she was very helpful and took my fit notes without a word, I go back Monday afternoon, so she will tell me what happens next x♥️
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @Cassie3. It is the very least you deserve. It sounds like you have had a positive experience. How have things been since? We are here for you if you would like to talk to us about anything or need some support  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.