Favourite Board Games? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Favourite Board Games?

Options
Alex_Alumni
Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
Recently I was reminded of a favourite childhood board game of mine, Mousetrap! :)

I was wondering, do you think board games are still as popular as they ever were, and what are some of your favourites? 

A few more of mine to help with discussion include: Ludo, Cluedo, and Pigs Might Fly! 
Online Community Coordinator
Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Comments

• Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    Scrabble and Monopoly are the favourites in our house, lots of cheating goes on though. 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,006 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Monopoly definately
  • emancherry33
    emancherry33 Community member Posts: 3,640 Pioneering
    Options
    There was a game I played I think it was called game of knowledge, based on plannets and wining rings to win the game came out early 1980,s
  • life
    life Community member Posts: 527 Pioneering
    Options
    Scrabble and a simple game of connect 4. Enjoyed snakes and ladders at school.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,925 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Another vote for Monopoly from me.

I think board games have made a comeback. Before Covid when I went through a good patch of being able to see some friends, I went to a board game bar where they had about 1,000 different board games which you could play for free, and you just paid for the food and drinks. It was quite good fun. :)
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    That sounds amazing @66Mustang were there any which really stood out to you? :)

Monopoly is clearly the popular choice, I always find we can never finish it at home, mostly because we all make "deals" to stay playing when we should be bankrupt!

Game of Knowledge sounds fun @emancherry33 I bet there's loads of forgotten gems out there. 

My grandma had one called "Scoop!" where players compete as journalists to make the most interesting newspaper front page :)  
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• Binky1234
    Binky1234 Community member Posts: 408 Pioneering
    Options
    Frustration 
    Snakes and ladders 
    Cludo
    Monopoly 

These are the favourites in our household.

Knowing When to walk away is Wisdom, being able is courage, walking away with your head held high is dignity.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Ooh, snakes and ladders reminds me of some of my favourite days!  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I used to play Monopoly or Eurobusiness (similar to Monopoly) games and did lots of puzzles. Together with my sister we also played Mastermind game. Plenty games using standard cards too especially during campaign time. Also quite popular were games written down on the paper (country , cities, names, rivers  or hit the boat) Today, I would chose good walk/ hiking trip over any boarding game. 
  • SBSpIMuleX
    SBSpIMuleX Scope Member Posts: 30 Connected
    Options
    love monopoly (have 4 different versions of it) and still have and love mouse trap and frustration
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    Thanks for sharing @SBSpIMuleX, I've not heard of Frustration, how do you play? :)
    Scope

• SBSpIMuleX
    SBSpIMuleX Scope Member Posts: 30 Connected
    Options
    tricky to try and explain if you not heard of it, might be easier to look up online, but its a bit like ludo i think it was called in my parent day, but its a dice in a dome in the middle that u click to spin and you move your 4 coloured pieces around a plastic board and if you jump another players tocken then that piece goes back to their starting home and the winner is the first to get all 4 pieces safely home
  • Helen09
    Helen09 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    I love it. Especially Monopoly and Mafia.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    Thanks for explaining @SBSpIMuleX I do remember playing Ludo with my grandparents :) Sounds good!
    Scope

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    That sounds like great fun Pam. What's your favourite thing about monopoly?  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    Pam said:
    That sounds like great fun Pam. What's your favourite thing about monopoly?  :)
    I superglued all the figures down on the board 
    Do you keep it out on display? I can imagine it would be tricky to play with all the figures set in place!  :D
    Scope

• rudolf
    rudolf Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Options
    It has to be Bananagrams for me.

Scrabble can be frustrating as you sometimes wait a long time whilst everyone has their go.

With Bananagrams you are all doing something throughout.
  • csno01
    csno01 Community member Posts: 393 Pioneering
    Options
    Monopoly was my favourite boardgame growing up, I played it constantly. It is one of the very few games I have to this day.

I’m not sure based on popularity nowadays, as it has been ages since I last played a board game. I have seen that become more expensive, Compare to how much they cost back then. 
  • L_Volunteer
    Options
    Oh, I haven't heard of Bananagrams @rudolf. Would you like to tell us a little bit more about that? 

It sounds like great fun, just as monopoly does given @csno01's description! I would agree about the price increase too though   :p

• rudolf
    rudolf Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Options
    Oh, I haven't heard of Bananagrams @rudolf. Would you like to tell us a little bit more about that? It sounds like great fun

Yeah it’s called Bananagrams as you get all the tiles in a zip up bag in the shape of a banana and you have to find anagrams from your tiles.

It works best with 3 or more people. So with 3 people you each start with 21 randomly chosen tiles.

Once you turn your tiles over so you see what letters you have you all start at the same time to arrange your letters on your table so you make up your own Scrabble board looking grid of words.

if you want to “dump” a letter you put your one tile you don’t want face down in the pool of letters (in the middle of the table) facing downwards, mix them up a bit, then pick up three random tiles from the pool of letters. Best not to “dump” unless you really need to as picking up three tiles is quite a lot.

When you’ve used all your face up tiles on your word grid and there are still the face down ones in the middle of the table you say “peel” and then you all pick up one tile.

The player who uses up all their face up tiles and there aren’t enough face down tiles in the middle for them to say “peel” and all to take one tile they say “Bananagrams” and win.

It’s good to help each other out here and there. We tend to stick to words in the Seiko Oxford electronic dictionary. No brand names etc!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.