Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Has anyone faced challenges with using the oven, and found any assistance that helps?

Options
andrewns
andrewns Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I have mobility issues and have had some help from our local authority to install handles at various places in our house. We have a stand alone cooker and eye level grill that I am almost unable to bend when using the oven. The L.A. cannot help - at least for another year! - and I am reluctant to start buying an eye level oven without truly independent advice. Have any of you good folks had similar challenges and have received such assistance that has made things so much easier for you in the kitchen?
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,650 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @andrewns and welcome to the community :) 

Sorry to hear that you are having challenges with accessing and using your oven, I'd be interested to ehar from other members whether they have taken any steps to make their oven, or kitchen in general, easier to use for their specific needs.

It's a shame that the LA can't help you any sooner, have they given a reason as to why it will take so long?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • andrewns
    andrewns Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks for your concern, Ross. As to why the LA put us 200+ in the queue.....  cost? demand? COVID? ... probably a combination of these and others! 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,650 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    andrewns said:
    Thanks for your concern, Ross. As to why the LA put us 200+ in the queue.....  cost? demand? COVID? ... probably a combination of these and others! 
    I see, that must be really frustrating. 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Jules_H
    Jules_H Scope Member Posts: 61 Courageous
    Options
    andrewns said:
    I have mobility issues and have had some help from our local authority to install handles at various places in our house. We have a stand alone cooker and eye level grill that I am almost unable to bend when using the oven. The L.A. cannot help - at least for another year! - and I am reluctant to start buying an eye level oven without truly independent advice. Have any of you good folks had similar challenges and have received such assistance that has made things so much easier for you in the kitchen?

-------------

Andrewns, I can relate to parts of what you're going through. With my mobility, I can't bend in any direction more than 20°. My kitchen is long but very narrow so opening a standard oven door whether it opens with a side handle or top handle, I either burn the side of my legs or shins to ankles. I then can't bend forward to put anything in or take anything out of the oven.. if I'm taking anything out, I then have both hands in use so can't then manoeuvre my chair to put the item onto a work surface, even if I had the space.  On top of my disabilities, I started losing my eye sight. I can hear the gas on a full flame, but anything less than full and I can't see or hear it... so for my own health I had to get rid of my cooker. I did contact DAF for an electric cooker, so at least I could use the hobs, but got refused. They gave no reason at all, I even contacted the health team at the Welsh Senedd, they contacted DAF who still didn't reply. The Senedd wrote a strongly worded email which DAF then responded to within 24 hours. They still gave no reason as to why I was initially turned down or why they ignored my appeal. That was 10 months ago and I still have no cooker.

I rely on a microwave and microwave meals I get from a company who delivers three times a week. Apparently the table top cookers where the door slides under the cooker itself once open is really expensive, but I did find the RNIB sells table top hobs that come as either one hob or two and plug in, and a microwave combi cooker, grill. As neither my mobility or now my sight allows me to safely use a cooker, I'll have to consider those table top items. A proper oven that fits on the table would be ideal though as I can't imagine the combi from the RNIB allows for baking tins or roasting tins - the description on it doesn't say. So other than those few items, I haven't found anything else either you or I could use, sorry.

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.