DVLA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DVLA

Options
basingwerk
basingwerk Community member Posts: 5 Listener
i have hemiparesis due to a stroke 3 years ago, the DVLA took away my license for a year after that. Hence my left arm is still weak and my grip in that hand is more like a child's, but still good enough to use power steering. but I have adjusted my way of driving to account for the problem, and I think i am safe enough, safer than most younger drivers due to great care and awareness that comes with maturity and awareness of my condition.but I am afraid that if I order a motability car  that word of my hemiparesis might get back to DVLA, esp. if I ask for a knob on the steering which might be a useful adaptation, but may slightly put off other family members if it's obstructive, I need to ask, is a steering knob a nuisance?

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,702 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The only people who can give a definitive answer to your question will be the DVLA, No point doing anything without there say so.
    As for peoples age and driving I know some young people who are great drivers I also know some older people where I would prefer to walk than be driven by them.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 
    As far as I am aware I maybe wrong but when I looked into getting a motability car you were unable to order one if you couldn't produce a valid driving licence 

Have you had your licence reinstated if so did you declare your condition if you did and it was reissued then there should be no problems 

Many people use adaptions and they wouldn't be fitted if not suitable 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.