LCWRA backpay calculations

Options
SamD1985
SamD1985 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Hi!

I have been awarded LCWRA recently and also notified of arrears due. However this is less than I expected.

Is there a way to double check that the amount entitled is correct?

Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,275 Championing
    Options
    There’s a full 3 month assessment report waiting time and the extra money is paid from the 4th month after you reported your health condition. It’s not paid at all during that time.
    When it’s paid from exactly will depend on what date you reported your health condition/sent your first fit note and what date you usually receive your payment each month. 
    You must have sent fit notes without any gaps until the decision was made. 
    If you can give that information then someone can help you further.
  • SamD1985
    Options
    Thank you as always @poppy123456. The first fit note I submitted was Aug 2021 with assessment periods of 24-25 of the month and paid on 30th.

They are claiming I am due from Jan to Aug this year, however the total amount does not equal 8 x the amount they say LCWRA is worth but significantly less. 

Am I missing something?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,005 Championing
    edited September 2022
    Options
    SamD1985 said: They are claiming I am due from Jan to Aug this year, however the total amount does not equal 8 x the amount they say LCWRA is worth but significantly less. 

Am I missing something?
    What you are due may not match a simple multiple of the additional LCWArA element depending on how you UC claim is made up - for example if you were getting the carer element that would be deducted when the LCWRA is added.
  • SamD1985
    Options
    Thank you @calcotti. I wasn’t entitled to UC for the past months and had £0 all over my statement records however they have now scattered random numbers to each month that have no pattern to them. Is there a number I can call to work this out? 

Makes no sense. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    What date in August did you send the fit note?
  • SamD1985
    Options
    @poppy123456 Aug 4th. I already know how much and when I’ll be paid I just wanted to check if the amount is correct but as it stands the numbers are just scattered around my statements with no rhyme or reason. Even with the same incomes the entitlement changes and some months show LCWRA in the statement and some don’t. 

Just trying to make sure I’m not being paid wrong amounts but there does not seem to be a way to even double check this.
  • calcotti
    Options
    SamD1985 said:
    Thank you @calcotti. I wasn’t entitled to UC for the past months and had £0 all over my statement records however they have now scattered random numbers to each month that have no pattern to them. Is there a number I can call to work this out? 
    If you were not getting any UC before that is presumably because you have other deductions. The addition of the LCWRA increases your maximum amount, any deductions would still need to be taken into account. Therefore you don’t necessarily get paid the LCWRA amount.

If you have earnings the addition of the LCWRA would mean a Work Allowance is used (if you weren’t getting it before) which means that some of your earnings will now be ignored. Your UC payable will still be affected by the deduction for the remaining earnings.

• SamD1985
    Options
    @calcotti I guess I’ll just have to take them for what they are even though there is close to no similarities between the amounts given with the same criteria.

I just wish there was more transparency. I think it’s perfectly reasonable to be sceptical in these recent times.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If you're still unsure whether the amounts are correct for each assessment period then you will need to speak to an advice agency near you. This way you'll be able to show them your statements and they will be able to work the figures out for you. Without knowing all your information, the earnings received and the elements you're entitled to, it's not possible to advise further.

• calcotti
    Options
    SamD1985 said:
    @calcotti I guess I’ll just have to take them for what they are even though there is close to no similarities between the amounts given with the same criteria.

I just wish there was more transparency. I think it’s perfectly reasonable to be sceptical in these recent times.
    I agree about being sceptical. You mention that the LCWRA doesn’t show on some of the relevant statements - that would clearly be wrong. Unfortunately not possible to comment more without seeing the statements. If you want to post one feel free to do so but remove any personal information.