Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024


Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

PAE for BPH Prostate

Options
Wibbles
Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,773 Pioneering
Rather than the normal method of prostate reduction - have any of you (males) had PAE (Prostate Aryery Embolisation) ?
This involves blocking the blood vessels supplying the prostate with tiny plastic particles - thus reducing the blood flow and the size of the prostate
I have been told that my alternatives are drugs (which do not work for me, or an invasive TURP which is done through the urethra) !

Comments

  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,386 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Wibbles. I'm sorry no one has been able to talk with you about this so far. 

    Have you decided whether you wish to try the PAE or go down one of the alternative routes?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,773 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @Wibbles. I'm sorry no one has been able to talk with you about this so far. 

    Have you decided whether you wish to try the PAE or go down one of the alternative routes?

    It was only last week - I haven't even had the report back yet - but when I do, I will have to look at all of my options carefully
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,773 Pioneering
    Options
    I will try to find some information and maybe somehow help you.
    Thanks, I appreciate any advice 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Morning @Wibbles i'm following you on this, a lot of what you said on another thread, about the camera, my hubby has to go through, so i am waiting to see what the out come on gas and air is, keeping hubby updated on this.
    He does my head in with the amount of times he has to get up in the night, his prostrate slightly enlarged, hospital offered to "wipe it out" but he doesn't want that, so he stays away from Doc's now. x
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,773 Pioneering
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I will try to find some information and maybe somehow help you.

    PEA is associated with less blood loss, fewer blood transfusions, less prolonged hospitalisation, and fewer and less serious side effects than TURP. Unlike standard pancreatic surgeries, PEA can be performed under local anaesthesia. Therefore, blood clotting disorders, anaemia and anticoagulant therapy are not contraindications to embolisation. After that, you can drink a course of medications for urinary incontinence to consolidate the successful result. This will be a great solution.
    Thanks - problem being that I don't know whether my local NHS hospital offers PAE
    Any downsides to this method ?
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,773 Pioneering
    edited September 2022
    Options
    SueHeath said:
    Morning @Wibbles i'm following you on this, a lot of what you said on another thread, about the camera, my hubby has to go through, so i am waiting to see what the out come on gas and air is, keeping hubby updated on this.
    He does my head in with the amount of times he has to get up in the night, his prostrate slightly enlarged, hospital offered to "wipe it out" but he doesn't want that, so he stays away from Doc's now. x

    What do the hospital mean by "wipe it out" ?
    sounds scary
    My additional problems of poor mobility mean "accidents"
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hubby had bladder cancer all clear now - but because he keeps going for a pee in the night the surgeon just said he would remove his "slightly" enlarged prostrate and that would help ?????? Hubby had enough of being messed about with and a life time of bladder check up (with camera) so he wont even go back to doc's to get it sorted - he really does my head in - always moaning about getting up but he wont give the option a go.
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,773 Pioneering
    Options
    SueHeath said:
    Hubby had bladder cancer all clear now - but because he keeps going for a pee in the night the surgeon just said he would remove his "slightly" enlarged prostrate and that would help ?????? Hubby had enough of being messed about with and a life time of bladder check up (with camera) so he wont even go back to doc's to get it sorted - he really does my head in - always moaning about getting up but he wont give the option a go.

    I have no idea what completely removing a prostate would do
    But according to Mr Google - it will increase incontinence - so why would a surgeon want to remove it ?
    I am not surprised that your husband wants to stay away from docs
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Wibbles said:
    SueHeath said:
    Hubby had bladder cancer all clear now - but because he keeps going for a pee in the night the surgeon just said he would remove his "slightly" enlarged prostrate and that would help ?????? Hubby had enough of being messed about with and a life time of bladder check up (with camera) so he wont even go back to doc's to get it sorted - he really does my head in - always moaning about getting up but he wont give the option a go.

    I have no idea what completely removing a prostate would do
    But according to Mr Google - it will increase incontinence - so why would a surgeon want to remove it ?
    I am not surprised that your husband wants to stay away from docs
    Apparently it's a common thing to do, the doc's will always check the prostrate, when you have problems with bladder or peeing all the time, if sugar levels have been ruled out.
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,773 Pioneering
    Options
    SueHeath said:
    Wibbles said:
    SueHeath said:
    Hubby had bladder cancer all clear now - but because he keeps going for a pee in the night the surgeon just said he would remove his "slightly" enlarged prostrate and that would help ?????? Hubby had enough of being messed about with and a life time of bladder check up (with camera) so he wont even go back to doc's to get it sorted - he really does my head in - always moaning about getting up but he wont give the option a go.

    I have no idea what completely removing a prostate would do
    But according to Mr Google - it will increase incontinence - so why would a surgeon want to remove it ?
    I am not surprised that your husband wants to stay away from docs
    Apparently it's a common thing to do, the doc's will always check the prostrate, when you have problems with bladder or peeing all the time, if sugar levels have been ruled out.

    I can accept that the prostate affects the amount and regularity of needing to pee - but not completely removing it - I mean the heart does the same thing with blood flow througout the body, but would you remove the heart when you have too high blood pressure ?
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I know what your saying @Wibbles but they do take it out for different reasons - have you googled it ? 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.