Living with BAM — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Living with BAM

Options
Tigger67
Tigger67 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, I have a condition called Bile Acid Malabsorption and I was diagnosed about 18 months ago.  I also have osteoporosis in the spine and osteopenia in the hip and neck.

I am finding it very difficult to cope with day to day living with having severe stomach cramps, urgently needing the toilet, terrible fatigue and joint pain.

I have recently had to reduce the hours that I work because I was so exhausted but I would be very interested to here from any fellow IBD sufferers to know what help, diet recommendations and benefits I could claim to hopefully make my life easier.

Thank you 🙂

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,266 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    For benefits, you can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit. As it's a means tested benefit, if you live with a partner you claim as a couple and your joint circumstances will be taken into consideration. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded from claiming. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=537996ba-693c-4724-946d-d7f0e0a056cc
    If your earnings are less than £16 x NMW/Week you can report a health condition, supported by a fit note within 7 days of that. This will then start the work capability assessment process off and you should be referred within 29 days. If you earn more than this then a referral can't be made unless you're recieving a disability benefit such as PIP or DLA. https://www.gov.uk/health-conditions-disability-universal-credit
    There's also Personal Independence Payment (PIP) it's not means tested so other income/savings/capital do not affect the amount you maybe entitled to. It's not about your ability to work, or a diagnosis. It's how those conditions affect you against the 12 PIP activities. You can read more information here. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/
    For your health conditions, i'd advise you to speak to your GP.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good morning @Tigger67 welcome to our great group.
    Hope you are well this morning.
    When you are ready have a look around the site, you can join in on any of the chats/threads/debates/games/arts any problems just ask, some one is bound to be on line.
  • gorjuss
    gorjuss Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi everyone. , I was looking for somewhere to talk too others that understand what I’m going through and it seems that I’ve found the right place x
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @gorjuss

I'm so glad you feel you have found some support here :) Are you also someone who has been diagnosed with BAM?
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Ziva
    Ziva Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi everyone 
    I have a question.
    Has anybody had Bowel surgery  for Severe Bile Acid  Malabsorption ???
    Unfortunately no medications  have worked for me and now the Consultant has referred  me to a Surgeon.  As I am virtually  household  through  it.
    If you have, what surgery  was it and what's the outcome.??
    Would really appreciate  help on this matter. 
    Thankyou all for reading. Xx

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.