If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What you're not told about Motability and Royal Sun Alliance (RSA).

Options
cazlin
cazlin Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited September 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I recently had my PIP enhanced rate taken away (after a verbal review), so had to return my Motability car, I was devastated as this was the only way I got around.  It was due for a change so only had a few months left on the lease.
whilst I was waiting for the appeal.
prior to this, I was placed on a driving ban for 6 months, for 12 points (there was a mix-up and I was told sorting it out could take many months. So If I just did the ban my licence would be clear of points (spent), I won my appeal and was granted my Motability again I was ecstatic, only to find out it won't be so easy, 
 You have to pay to go back on the scheme, £750. if you go back before 6 mths, even if it wasn't your fault and won your appeal. 
If there was any time left on your lease when you handed the car back. you have to pay off the rest of the lease time. 
If you had over 12 points on your license and you (even though DVLA say you are now clear) they (RSA)  won't insure you for the next 6 years. so if you don't have someone who will be able to be your nominated driver, you are stuck.     

Before this, I had way over 15 years of no-claims bonus. so now I'll have to start all over again.  So now I have to start all over again. 

I'm not ungrateful just wish I had known then what I know; I maybe would have made different choices. I don't want to rubbish the scheme because it was a big help to me. I just want others to be aware because the small print doesn't always make for easy reading or understanding. 

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    How have things been for you more recently @cazlin? I appreciate it has been a little while since you posted this thread now.

Apologies that no one has responded to you sooner. If we can do anything to help please don't hesitate to let us know  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.