Hi, my name is Disabled2022! Thinking of leaving work. Will I be sanctioned? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Disabled2022! Thinking of leaving work. Will I be sanctioned?

Options
Disabled2022
Disabled2022 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited September 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello, I am disabled with Asthma, COPD, costiochrondritis, Osteo arthritis all over the body and lots of problems walking regarding my feet. So that's the bad bit over. The good bit is I am friendly, welcome all and would like to find out how to help myself and family. Thank you. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Disabled2022
    Options
    Finding work increasingly difficult, thinking of leaving. Will I be sanctioned as wife is on UC and I am a carer for her and son, both disabled. 
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2022
    Options
    If you receive the Carer’s Element you will not get sanctioned. You need to log in to your account and do a change of circumstances to not working when you wish to leave.
  • Disabled2022
    Options
    I am registered with my GP but dont know what I would need to do regarding UC Thank you for your help
  • bg844
    Options
    Does your wife and son receive DLA/PIP?
    Does she also receive the LCWRA element on your joint Universal Credit entitlement?
  • Disabled2022
    Options
    We are all registered disabled and recieve PIP at different levels. 
  • Disabled2022
    Options
    Sorry never heard of LCWRA
  • bg844
    Options
    Okay great. As part of your Universal Credit you can get something called a ‘Carer’s Element’ if you don’t have that on your statement already which will give an extra £168.81 per month on top of your entitlement. This also means any need to look for work will be stopped too. 

To add this on if you aren’t receiving it already you need to log in to your online account and click on ‘change of circumstances’ then click on ‘caring for someone’ and then write down your wife’s details and put the date you started caring as the date your wife’s PIP started. They might also backdate this element too although it’s a slim chance, go on to your journal and leave a message under payments asking if they’d backdate due to you not knowing you was eligible.
  • bg844
    Options
    Sorry never heard of LCWRA
    This is do do with your capability for work, it means more money and no requirement to look for work. To start the process for this if you don’t have this showing on your statement you need to obtain a fit note from your GP and also go on your UC account and do a change of circumstances under the health category listing your conditions and then you should be asked about the dates on your fit note. After 4 weeks you’ll be sent a form to fill out and from this you potentially might be entitled to an extra £354.28 a month on top of your UC payment should it be awarded, this way also means you wouldn’t get sanctioned.

If you are finding this very confusing I advise you to seek help from a service such as Citizens Advice. I’m not 100% still on what entitlements you are currently receiving as part of your UC. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,675 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Finding work increasingly difficult, thinking of leaving. Will I be sanctioned as wife is on UC and I am a carer for her and son, both disabled. 

If you live together you will be claiming UC as a couple and not just your wife. Regarding the LCWRA, if your wife hasn't already been through the work capability assessment then either of you can start the process off as advised above by bg844.
    If your wife already receives this element in with your maximum entitlement then you can only receive 1 LCWRA element per claim, so even if you're found to have this you will not receive any extra money.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.