Urgent Help required - PIP form filling question — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Urgent Help required - PIP form filling question

Options
ilovechickpeas
ilovechickpeas Community member Posts: 37 Connected

Q1: listing your conditions, medications and treatments 

Hi,

I’m currently in the process of claiming pip I need to fill the form in and post it.

I have one question regarding the section in the pip form about medication,

I suffer from mental health depression and anxiety, in the past - couple of years ago I was prescribe by my GP  medication such as sertaline for my depression and propolol for my anxiety, I was also prescribe sleeping pills.

However, currently at this moment in time I’m no longer taking them or on a repeat prescription, and also haven’t updated my prescription with my GP, because of the side effects I’m no longer taking these. 

I’m taking other natural alternatives such as herbal supplements   and CBD oil to help ease my anxiety and depressive symptoms.

I just wanted to know should I still include in the form the medication i was prescribe by my GP in the past and the natural alternatives I’m currently taking? 

Also, 

if I’m no longer taking prescription medication  will this effect/go against  my claim for pip ? 

Should I include information about any other  treatments in the future such as   therapy sessions, I’m currently on the NHS waiting list for counselling and I also have telephone numbers for other private  counsellors which I’m planning to get in touch with. 

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Definitely include that you're on the waiting list for therapies. There's no need to list medication if you're not taking it but it would probably be good to explain why you're not taking any currently (like the reasons you've said here). <3 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @haffyali :) 
    However, currently at this moment in time I’m no longer taking them or on a repeat prescription, and also haven’t updated my prescription with my GP, because of the side effects I’m no longer taking these. 
    Do you mind me asking whether your GP is aware that you've stopped taking the medication you were prescribed? 

I hope that you don't have to wait too long for the counselling, and that you find it helpful!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • ilovechickpeas
    Options
    @Tori_Scope hi mate, I haven’t had a repeat prescription for a while now so my best bet is my GP is aware of it. It’s on my medical records stating on my medicine list . 

Will this impact my claim for PIP? Please forgive me I overthink these things,  I’d rather not take them because I’m really scared of the side effects hence why I’ve took the more natural supplements route instead.

• ilovechickpeas
    Options
    Will the assessor ask me why I’m not on prescription medication on repeat ? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,694 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    haffyali said:

Will this impact my claim for PIP? Please forgive me I overthink these things, 

No. Lots of people claim PIP successfully and don't take any medication.
    haffyali said:
    Will the assessor ask me why I’m not on prescription medication on repeat ? 

If they ask then tell them why you don't take it. Just add it to the form you filled in as advised by Bibliokelpt.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    Definitely include that you're on the waiting list for therapies. There's no need to list medication if you're not taking it but it would probably be good to explain why you're not taking any currently (like the reasons you've said here). <3 
    The application form asks for current and previous medication.  I put down previous medication and why I`m no longer using it (reasons varied from "not suitable for an asthmatic" to "Drs now refuse to prescribe opioids".

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,694 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think whether you should include previous medication will depend on how big a list that is. I never included any of that because if I did then my list would be several pages long.  :D
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    I think whether you should include previous medication will depend on how big a list that is. I never included any of that because if I did then my list would be several pages long.  :D

:D

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.