Favourite and least favourite school subjects — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Favourite and least favourite school subjects

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,818 Disability Gamechanger
What were your favourite and least favourite subjects at school, and why?

My favourites were maths as I was quite good at it; science (especially physics) as I found it interesting, and computer studies as I just enjoyed it.

At A level where there was more choice I also enjoyed philosophy and economics.

My worst subject was PE as more or less every aspect of it was incompatible with my issues in some way, but I especially hated the team work aspect of it as I was the unpopular bullied kid at school.

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I liked English best because we had a good teacher and I enjoyed the various exercises he set us.
    The worst was definitely chemistry. Collectively we had played him up so much that he refused to talk to us and simply filled a rolling blackboard with text for us to copy down. He’d arrive, fill up the board and leave! Consequently no one passed chemistry O level in my class. Shame. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    Options
    @leeCal yes a good or bad teacher can make or break a subject a lot of the time I think! I had a maths teacher who was able to make maths fun even for the kids who didn't like the subject and he was very popular.

I want to say it serves the kids right for winding up the teacher, but I never agreed with collective punishments. I always found it unfair that I was to be put in detention for sitting quietly while the rest of the class were being rowdy, for example.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Agreed on both counts @66Mustang.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I loved maths, it just made sense to me. 
    I didn't like English language or literature much I preferred to write about things I was passionate about and couldn't get into writing essays on random things that didn't interest me :D I still did really well but it was a chore.

Drama was actually one of my favourite subjects because I felt more like I could be myself in those lessons than anywhere else. 

My least favourite was probably science. I found it the hardest but we had teachers that didn't do the subject any favours too. 

Totally agree with what you both said about collective punishments!! 

• 66Mustang
    Options
    @Biblioklept I found with English language, when I was writing an essay, that it helped take either a controversial view or just an opposite view to what I agreed with.

It mixed it up and made it a bit more interesting for me, and my teacher also told me that if my essay was really controversial it would stand out to the examiner - they weren't judging you on your views but purely on your writing style.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My favourite o level subject was home economics and my least favourite was biology 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,726 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2022
    Options
    My favourite was 3.45pm when the bell went for the end of day, my least favourite was 9a.m when the bell went for the start of the day.

The bit in the middle was often dire and boring.🕘
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Favourite was Business.

Hated Science, got a U for that :D
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    @Biblioklept I found with English language, when I was writing an essay, that it helped take either a controversial view or just an opposite view to what I agreed with.

It mixed it up and made it a bit more interesting for me, and my teacher also told me that if my essay was really controversial it would stand out to the examiner - they weren't judging you on your views but purely on your writing style.
    That would have been ideal!! Our teacher picked the view we had to write. I'd have jumped right in if given the freedom to write it from a different view point, especially if it could be a controversial one. 
    It sounds like you had a good teacher that encouraged creativity! 
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    66Mustang said:

That would have been ideal!! Our teacher picked the view we had to write. I'd have jumped right in if given the freedom to write it from a different view point, especially if it could be a controversial one. 
    It sounds like you had a good teacher that encouraged creativity! 
    Oh that's a shame!

I remember writing some essays from a point of view that most people would disagree with, of course the points I raised were nonsense but I scored quite decent marks for my writing! I think one was that footballers aren't paid enough and another was that people on benefits should be made to do some kind of work in return. :p
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @Teddybear12

I'd quite like to learn some Latin! We never did that at school at all. Was it the teacher or the subject that you didn't like, or both?
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think i am in the same categorie as woodbine i hated school which makes me laugh because i ended up working in schools ha ha.
    I loved doing Art, domestic science (cookery mainly) and sports of all types, 
    I think i hated school so much because back then i was very shy, bullied a little and struggled with English and Maths i do feel i have learnt a lot more since i left school. x
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @SueHeath

Same here, I was shy and bullied, because of course the bullies are cowards and pick on the easiest targets.

I agree about learning a lot since leaving school.

That's funny that you ended up working in a school though :D
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yep i found that funny @66Mustang not in student teaching, i was a manager with in the school meals service, i worked in all types of schools, from helping out to trouble shooting i also helped train NVQ staff.
    When the lads were young i also became a governor in their school and i was Chair person for the parent school association. xx
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    My favourite was History, the one I most disliked was Geography.
  • Binky1234
    Binky1234 Community member Posts: 408 Pioneering
    Options
    Favourite school holidays 
    Least favourite term 
    Knowing When to walk away is Wisdom, being able is courage, walking away with your head held high is dignity.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,638 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Loved art, history, English, French, 
    Disliked RE didn't see the point. Maths. 
    I would like to learn latin
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,707 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My favourite was Maths and was always top of the class for this. My least favourite was History, chemistry and Geography and dropped all 3 for my options.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • life
    life Community member Posts: 527 Pioneering
    Options
    I enjoyed art, history, p.e and smoking behind the bins 😂😂

Hated English because the teacher was very strict. Couldn't have no fun. Oh and Spanish didn't like that either.
  • MikeRP
    MikeRP Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    My favourites were geology and drama, so I wanted to be either a paleontologist or an actor. My least favourites were pretty much anyrhing involving sports.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.