Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

More needs to be done to stop people taking their own lives

Options
happyfella
happyfella Community member Posts: 504 Pioneering
I opened my newspaper this morning to see yet another person in my local area who has taken their own life. There have been lots this year in my area and it is only September.

More needs to be done to help people. This may upset people but i will make my feelings heard. There are a lot of so called charities out there who claim they are there to help people but in reality do very little. There are lots of charity shops where people go in and support them but where is the money being used, a lot of it to pay for expensive offices and well-paid staff.

Those people who are struggling are being ignored and i take this from experience.

Things need to change and Doctors need to have a full-time person at their surgery that can be there for those that are struggling.

You hear there are lots of support out there to give people help and advice, sorry but that is a lot of rubbish.

I was lucky. I suffered in secret depression for 30 years. I did try and ask my doctor at the time for help and was ignored. When things got too much and i tried to take my own life I was lucky. I was saved by my daughter who kept on phoning me. I went to the doctors and they were amazing and got my help straight away. However, the majority of people are not that lucky and many have to wait six months or more.

I hear from people who have asked for help for many different things and these organisations are supposed to be there for help, but in reality they are not getting any help.

An example of someone i know who is struggling each day. They asked for help to transform their garden to provide them with a space to clear their head. They have been passed from pillar to post and been waiting two years and still nothing.

My own experience is i live in a home that is dangerous. The doctors want me to move or have it adapted. The people who are supposed to be dealing with the adaption of the home are hard to get hold of. You contact them and you receive a reply to your email or phone call around five or six weeks later.

I am down as urgent to have my home adapted. I have been waiting nearly two years and was told that it would be done next year. However, now because they have agreed to listen to me about not building the extention they want to build, they have said the process will have to start again and could take three years to put a downstairs toilet in.

A lot of people i know are drowning. They have contacted organisations for help and not receiving the help they need. More people will take their own lives with the rise in the cost of living.

As i have mentioned this may upset people but i cannot stay silent any longer. Too many people whose lives could have been saved through help are being lost, a lot of them young lives.

If these charities who claim they are there to help don't sort themselves out, and if more money is not invested in the NHS to provide help them we are going to see more people give up

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,960 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have experienced the same; the NHS do not do anything, they just send me to different services who in turn send me to another service. It's like they are playing tennis with me as the ball!

I agree with everything you have said except one thing which is that the NHS needs more investment. What you say about charity, I think is actually also true with the NHS. They have plenty of money, it's just spent on the wrong things. Of course this is just my opinion but this opinion is based on the experience of family members working in the NHS (in a non-medical capacity).
  • happyfella
    happyfella Community member Posts: 504 Pioneering
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    I have experienced the same; the NHS do not do anything, they just send me to different services who in turn send me to another service. It's like they are playing tennis with me as the ball!

I agree with everything you have said except one thing which is that the NHS needs more investment. What you say about charity, I think is actually also true with the NHS. They have plenty of money, it's just spent on the wrong things. Of course this is just my opinion but this opinion is based on the experience of family members working in the NHS (in a non-medical capacity).

There are dedicated help for mental health and to be honest some of them are useless. One of them that i dealt with, if you sent them an email then you would get a reply a few weeks later. What we need is these charities to use the money that is raised for them to good use and not expensive offices and highly paid staff at the top.

This may get me banned here and i don't care because i am fed up of people struggling on a daily basis and taking their own lives. But the head of scope for example is paid more than £150,000 per year. That is shocking. That money is through money raised by good people who support them. Scope are not the only ones. All charities are the same, nice offices and highly paid staff at the very top, and what do these charities really do.

I give it an hour before this post is removed and me banned. Too many charities out there claim to do good and help people and offer limited results.

People now more than ever need support and help, and these charities should be made to issue account each year on how effective they have been in helping people and where the money has gone. People supporting these charities should be able to see how many people they have helped and how many lives they have changed.

I am fed up with hearing about how many people are struggling on a daily basis and not knowing where to get help from.

One of the people who was helping me when i really needed them agreed with everything i said. She wants to see more being done and easy access for people who need help.

People who are struggling with depression don't just need help by counsillors, they need a complete support network such as housing help, job opportunities, finance help. They need to be able to easily tap into different support networks.

Parents are supposed to leave this earth before their children and not the other way around.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,960 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I believe that the reason the head of charities are paid well is because the charity needs someone with similar skills to a company CEO, so the salary needs to be attractive or the potential employees would simply go elsewhere.

Put simply, if a charity didn't offer a competitive salary then they wouldn't get someone who was up to the job.

That said I agree with the rest of what you say i.e. that more support needs to be put in place for people battling these thoughts!
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,096 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Speaking as someone who 15 years ago took a massive overdose in order to try and end my life, there was nothing and no one who could have done anything at all at the time to stop me.

2024 Election won

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,787 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Speaking as someone that's been trying to end it for the last 20 years but simply doesn't have the balls...

I fully agree that the main focus should be on a full 'network' of support, rather than the odd phone number that you can call in a crisis.  I still wish I'd gone 20 years ago, or at any point since.  I hope for the end every day.  I haven't ever been given any 'hope' for managing future life with my situation & circumstances.  I've been 'assessed' numerous times through the mental system, I've contacted numerous charities over the years, I've contacted council services and so far found nothing practically helpful at all.

Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate that some people (presumably quite a few people) benefit from an immediately accessible crisis line.  But what happens after that?  Unless big changes are made to life circumstances, and realistic 'hope' provided for a better future, they'll end up in the same position again sooner or later...

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I worked for a non profit organisation for 2 years and have never in all the other companies I worked for seen such benefits and staff rewards 

Moved into brand new offices all mid cons including roof garden , gym games room 
    Free refreshments including fresh juice daily in 2 stations on 5 levels 

Huge salaries and bonus pension and medical insurance 

Large parties in swanky hotels twice a year and huge expense claims 

Very different to working in private sector where every penny is accounted for 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I know some one who took her own life, she was only young, none of us knew how she felt, she never asked for help or showed signs of depression - she done this after a stupid argument with her boy friend, he carries this burden with him as well as her friends and family, it's not always some one who shows their vunerable it's so sad.
    I agree with you about the waiting time to get help, advise etc but it is down to funding, not enough staff, the list can go on, i really don't think you can blame the charities either, they do their best - there is just to many people who need help in different walks of life, and we seem to have lost a lot of the community help we had many years ago, ie helping some one do their gardens or a chat over the garden fence.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My experience has been similar to woodbines, no one could’ve stopped me from attempting suicide. 

I also agree that mental health charities are by and large useless and seem to exist purely to help themselves. I also agree that often people need help on many levels including financial and sometimes a whole family could do with treatment and or help of a financial or physical kind. These issues are highly complex and the resources simply aren’t there to deal with them adequately. Something has to change but when is another matter. 

I also have a low opinion of mental health support from the nhs and I’ve been though the system a few times over the past ten years or so. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,948 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    First I want to say how very glad I am that each of you posting have fought your battles and demons long enough to post here. The world would be lass sparkly without all of you <3@happyfella, @66Mustang, @woodbine, @OverlyAnxious, @janer1967, @SueHeath, @leeCal <3 

Getting into the discussion, I read some time ago that mental health isn't even on the training for many GPs and medical staff. That's just shocking to me!

I do think blaming charities isn't the right approach because they're just trying to plug a hole that shouldn't be there. Mental health support is abysmal and we as a nation should be outraged at the lack of support via the NHS and the chronic underfunding and for years. Services are under so much pressure and have been buckling for a long time and many closed and nothing put in place to replace them. 

I know my own situation is too niche to ever get proper support (can't go out, can't use the phone and can't have people in my house) so I accept there is little support for me. But there is no excuse for how many people that are just being let down, especially young people and children. 

I'm a strong believer in preventative action and there should be so much more available before people get to the desperate depths of the spiral. 

66Mustang said:
    I believe that the reason the head of charities are paid well is because the charity needs someone with similar skills to a company CEO, so the salary needs to be attractive or the potential employees would simply go elsewhere.

Put simply, if a charity didn't offer a competitive salary then they wouldn't get someone who was up to the job.

That said I agree with the rest of what you say i.e. that more support needs to be put in place for people battling these thoughts!
    I used to think the same as happyfella but someone explained it to me in this same way and I actually do understand now and completely agree with this. 

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,508 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts :) 

I saw a tweet for World Suicide Prevention Day this year that resonated with me:

I am not going to comment on #WorldSuicidePreventionDay except to say that suicide is complex & preventing it takes complex, joined up work by multiple providers tasked with economic, social, political and health responsibilities. It cannot be fixed by “just talking about it.”

— Rachel Moss (@menysnoweballes) September 10, 2022

National Campaigns Officer at Scope, she/her

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,787 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

I know my own situation is too niche to ever get proper support (can't go out, can't use the phone and can't have people in my house) so I accept there is little support for me. 
    There are a few of us on here with the same limitations.  Makes me wonder just how many people there are across the country like this, let alone the world!  Would think it's enough for someone to be considering alternative forums of assistance... 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,982 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh, I hear you @OverlyAnxious. Really thankful we have a space like this!  <3
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.